The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Went to the track tonight

brisvr4

Well after running a few 12 second passes recently I've finally managed to nail an 11 second pass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Went 11.83 @ 120.83 1.856 60ft and a 7.717 @ 92.93 1/8th which is a new PB for me.
Backed it up with a 11.95 @ 119.65 and a bunch of low 12 second passes all in the 117 - 120mph range.
I am stoked with the results I am seeing out of the 50trim and E85!

Unfortunately my 3000km old Clutchnet clutch started to slip.
I'm not too sure whether it was the fact that I didn't give it enough time to cool between runs or not?
Once I left the track and drove it carefully home I did a short pull in 3rd and it didn't slip at all.
It's their 6 puck sprung units with the 2x pp and a Fidanza flywheel.
I really hope it is just a heat thing because I really don't want to pull the box!

Congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif. It's always nice when get good results like this. It helps to justify the $$ you spend on the car.

NateCrisman

NICE. Congrats on getting into the 11's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2of9

sweet numbers! can't wait till I get to the 11s. but as long as i get to the 120 trap, I'll be happy for having it as a DD.

Brianawd

Nice

brisvr4

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
What makes me more happy with it is the fact that I'm still on the stock bottom end. They really made these things strong!

NateCrisman

oh yes they do make them strong. Mike Rizzotti put his stock shortblock 1G DSM to 10.4 @ 141mph last week! I'm pretty sure that shortblock is the real oem original that came in the car when it was built in 1991, it's not even a recent rebuild.

WOW Nice runs man, Congrats.. If taken care off the stock 6 bolts are really really strong.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brisvr4

Thanks Nate and Mac,
Does anyone know the limitations of a PTE 5031?
I'm pushing around 47-48lbs min on mine now and I'm not sure what airflow they are good for before I max it out.
I am seriously considering one of Curtis's suggestions for my next turbo. BW S362 or 366 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
See what the old girl can really do!

NateCrisman

I'm running the 5031 as well, although I have not "maxed it out" yet on my GVR4. I'm thinking It should be good for at least 125mph and low low 11's.

What turbine housing are you using? (Im on the PTE .63 T3 5 bolt outlet ford style)

brisvr4

I do intend to keep this one until I can't wring anymore out of it!
I'm on the Mitsubishi housing, the T3 should give me more top end shouldn't it?
It does seem to pull fairly hard up top already though.

4thStroke

Quoting NateCrisman:
I'm running the 5031 as well, although I have not "maxed it out" yet on my GVR4. I'm thinking It should be good for at least 125mph and low low 11's.

What turbine housing are you using? (Im on the PTE .63 T3 5 bolt outlet ford style)

Good luck going low, low 11s at at least 125mph. Cant say it cant be done, but people have had a really tough time breaking high 10s with the flying brick at 131mph.

If you get some sticky tread under there, you should hit your mark. Street tires suck at the track.

rlturbo35

Good luck with your project, hope you see the 10s soon, keep us updated with the results please !!!!!

NateCrisman

Quoting 4thStroke:
Quoting NateCrisman:

Good luck going low, low 11s at at least 125mph. Cant say it cant be done, but people have had a really tough time breaking high 10s with the flying brick at 131mph.

If you get some sticky tread under there, you should hit your mark. Street tires suck at the track.

The OP didn't ask what mediocre results most dsmer's get with a 50trim, he asked what the limitations of it were. Limitations kind of implies that your going to get every bit of performance.

example:

I went 11.0 @ 124 in my 1g dsm back in 2002 with a stock intake manifold, head, & cams on a turbonetics 50trim. The car was 3080lb with driver, ran on 225 50 15 BFG drag radials and cut low 1.5 60' times, with the 1/8mile in the 7.0 @ 100 range. 28-29psi of boost, 116 racegas, VPC/AFC tuning via knock sensor with no wideband.

I just picked up a set of Hoosier QTP's which should put my 3120lb total weight GVR4 in the 11.4-11.5 @ 120 range assuming I can run some mid 1.5 short times, which are cake on slicks. Racegas, balls to the wall tune @ 30psi and a clean shifted pass on a 1.5 launch is a solid low low 11, if not a 10. It's totally reasonable even in a brick GVR4.

People have a hard time going 10.999 with 131mph because they are using street tires. I assume your talking about Brian's GVR4, which DSMtimes lists his 60' as a 1.883 for an 11.1 @ 131. Brain could put a set of drag radials or hoosiers on his car and pull off a 10.5 on the first night most likely! He's got way more power than the car can handle in first. Not to mention the car is nearly a full weight streetcar with AC and a rollbar. It's impressive to say the least, but not any indication that "if he can't go 10's, then no-one else can with less power". Self imposed limitations..traction & weight.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting brisvr4:
I do intend to keep this one until I can't wring anymore out of it!
I'm on the Mitsubishi housing, the T3 should give me more top end shouldn't it?
It does seem to pull fairly hard up top already though.

yeah, from what I have experienced, the T3 housing will make a solid power gain over the mitsu flanged version. Plus if your running an external on the manifold, there is no flow obstruction due to a wastegate passage in the inlet cone of the turbine housing. I'd bet when pushing a 5031 to the envelope, going from T3 .63AR to the .82AR housing would make another mph or so. It's such a basic old turbo, but still impresses me.

Any other changes or plans for your car?

oh yeah. on E85, what total timing and boost are you running to see 120mph traps?

Last edited:

brisvr4

I might have to look into a T3 housing once I stop making gains with the Mitsi housing.
I am running a 38mm Tial off the o2 housing at present.
I've done a bit of weight reduction on the car recently. Deleted aircon, power steering, jspec bars front and rear.
I haven't attacked the sound deadening as yet though.

My 120 traps were done on about 28psi and 23deg of timing up top.
Are you on the Link forums Nate? I did post a log over there of my last run.

The job for this weekend is a clutch change and to fix the leak under the shift lever on the selector shaft. Not fun!

Last edited:

turbowop

Brian doesn't have a rollbar, FYI. Nate, I think you'll also see a quicker E.T. to trapspeed ratio because of how much lighter your car is as well, wouldn't you?

Those 50trim times/trapspeeds are exactly what I ran in '04 with my FPgreen (50trim). And I was shifting like crap due to a shitty synchro'd tranny. Quicker shifts will bring your E.T. down even lower.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Ok, no rollbar, but regardless, Im pretty sure Brian said his car is real heavy. and yes I agree a lighter car might give a better ET/trap speed ratio. And I think a lighter car is easier to launch as well in less driveline breakage and less tendancy to bog down.

Yeah, this isn't rocket science, a 50 trim is IMHO capable of a 10.999. It's not going to happen in a full weight 3450lb gvr4 with a mediocre driver on a car with poor setup. but if everything is done right I don't see that there is some magic limitation that a GVR4 can't do it on the old Fiddy Trim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Nate

If Curt Brown can run what he runs in a light, properly setup 1G with a 16G, a 50trim should be able to go tens with some persistence.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts