The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coilover settings?

CarRacer

I'm going to try my hand at a spectator drag event at the local circle track. It's a one lap standing start race. I have a set of ksports on the car and figure I'd ask for some advice from people who have actually raced these cars before.

My plan is to set the car up for the start. I'll probably have the biggest advantage there and once I'm ahead enough, can run the fastest line without worrying about the other car. I'm not too worried about how the car will react in the corners. I only plan on messing with the shock valve adjustments, as I have the car corner weighted to a neutral bias.

My question is, what settings are best on the shocks for the start? The surface will be very similar to city streets, it's not surface prepped like a drag strip.

Thanks for the help.

NateCrisman

I'm interested in this myself. I was going to start a new thread to discuss alignment settings to maximize launch traction, but that would fit in with your situation as well. hope you don't mind the piggyback.

As for street vs track prep, my thoughts are what helps on a sticky track can only really help on a less sticky track as well. I would assume you can just be a little more aggressive with your shock stiffness on the sticky track. As with tire pressure, I think shock settings are going to be something that is totally dependant on that specific surface and tire, and the setting is going to be trial and error.

I picked up D2 coilovers last night, and still have to install and do the setup for ride height, alignment, and stock settings. Goal is to get the most traction for dragracing.

Anyway, care to divulge what your running for toe and camber F&R? My gut says that 0* toe all around and settings to 0 the camber will be max starting line traction. But we need to consider weight transfer - squat/lift in as well.

do you want setting that has the camber at 0* as the car sits at rest which would have best instantanious traction or do you want some - camber in front and + in rear so that camber goes to 0* when the car is at full weight transfer in first gear? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:

turbofonz

On my 1g with Ksports, at launch, there is barely ANY squat. It won't be like a stock suspensioned car at all, so you will not have to adjust for camber as much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned