The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOOSTX rear subframe bushing install

grocery_getter

An overdue task that I've been putting off for months!!!

I pulled the rear subframe once a long long time ago (1998) to put the 4 bolt rear end in but I have these bushing from BOOSTX that have been sitting in my office for months now. So I am finally pulling my rear subframe out again to install BOOSTX rear subframe bushing.

Instead of swiss cheesing the old bushing to remove them, I opted for the OA torches. OA set to Acetylene only, burned the rubber bushing out on the parking lot. Took about 5 minutes to start the burn then the bushing catched on fire and burned itself out. Total time maybe half an hour if that. After the burn, wipe the soot off the subframe and wire wheel the inside of the "shell" to clean the rubber bits. The fire doesn't get hot enough to actually burned any of the factory paint off the subframe itself. I was ready with some black paint but its not needed.

Here's the finished subframe
P1010814.jpg

Passenger side front bushing shell clean all the way down to the metal
P1010815.jpg

Driver side front bushing shell clean all the way down to the metal
P1010816.jpg

While I have it off the car: Driver side rear camber arm
P1010817.jpg

While I have it off the car: Passenger side rear camber arm
P1010818.jpg

This is where the burn was done. Those half pipe shell metal pieces are part of the bushings. The black 'dirt' are burned rubber bits. I didn't take apart the rear subframe to burn the bushings. Just wheeled it on the jack to the spot and start the burn! Didn't think to take pictures while the burn was happening. Should have. Tons of black smoke!
P1010819.jpg

Bare under the rear of the car. Those KYB AGX are coming off tomorrow!
P1010820.jpg

The mustache bracket clean as well ready for new bushing.
P1010821.jpg

Andre

grocery_getter

The transmission is done and already back in the car. Why do you think I am finally working on the rear subframe? :p

I am getting the car ready to drive. The TEIN coilovers will go in tomorrow as well as finishing up my Snow meth kit install.

I can't wait to jump on the dyno again.

turbowop

WTF? Where did all this motivation come from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif On Friday you kept talking about how you had too many shop projects to finish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

Well, he decided to finish one.

Terry Posten

Yeah, but I bet he will have more fun playing with the results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And a good advertisment.

Looking good, keep it up. That has to be the cleanest 4WS setup I have ever seen.

Last edited:

grocery_getter

You know what it is? Its the TEIN coilovers. I have been starring at it since Friday and today I said that's it, "I am putting those on the car today!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well its that and its the fact that today for whatever reason, I am sitting duck waiting for parts for ALL the project that I have at the shop.

I had slotted a couple hours for dyno tuning the red mk4 supra today when out of nowhere its clutch started to slip really badly. This thing is making the same power at 20psi as what it made at 16.5psi. Letting the clutch cool down for about half an hour magically produced an extra 70 rwhp. Wow, I thought, what a waste of a day. Completely destroyed my time table. That is till I went into the office and saw the TEIN coilover sitting on the floor. Suddenly I knew what I'd be doing for the rest of the day. Started this afternoon at about 2 o'clock with tearing the tranny apart to put the locker in for the front diff and by 7 o'clock I had the tranny back in the car up front and out back, finished all the overdue work on the rear subframe.

I had a productive day today afterall.

Yes, working on my own car doesn't pay the bill (which is why its always on the backburner) but at least I won't have to push it around anymore and that's good for the moral. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

grocery_getter

Terry, I've had that 4ws + 4 bolt rear end setup since 1998. And believe me, the only reason its so clean under there is because my car accumulates even less miles than Mark's 1051.

Brianawd

So you went with the locker after all. Get ready because that car is going to dive hard to one side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Quoting grocery_getter:

but at least I won't have to push it around anymore and that's good for the moral. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dude. Before you showed up Friday, I had to help your employee push your car off the lift and outside so we could put mine on the lift. That wasn't fun. Damn thing is a tank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

curtis

Finally someone is getting them installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

grocery_getter

Curtis, am I really the first guy who had installed this bushings?

Naw! Curtis is just excited to see them go on such a nice car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif. I feel you about getting the car to a point where you don't have to push it anymore. However don't let that take away your motivation now that it can move on it's own power.

*By the way, where are the pictures of the bushings installed?

Last edited by a moderator:

christo

I installed these quite sometime ago; however, I have not driven the car since. I am waiting on some things, mainly an engine.

Christo008.jpg

RE5-1.jpg

Talon056.jpg

Talon050.jpg

JB

All these pictures of clean undersides is gonna make me go kick a dent in my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

curtis

Andre I'm sure there's plenty that have installed them but most are jack stand ballers and haven't driven the car yet.

Armitage

I finished installing mine a few weeks ago. Not the most fun job ever!

Photo taken prior to cleaning and repainting:

DSC00517.sized.jpg

Terry Posten

I have done that job on a 1987 Nissan 200sx. What a pain in the rear.

On top of that, the one nut snapped of the threaded rod and I babied it to a welder and had them weld the plate back to what was left of the rod.

That car was a turd.

blacksheep

Quoting JB:
All these pictures of clean undersides is gonna make me go kick a dent in my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif and no comment about clean undersides...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned