The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1051 weight

turbowop

So I finally weighed my car today. Took it down to the local truckstop to use their scales. I'm pretty surprised. I figured it would weigh less than a stock car but it came out exactly the same as factory weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mods that are fairly relevant:

Items removed/replaced with lighter weight pieces:

-4WS removed
-Cruise Control removed
-Stock front seats replaced with lighter Sparco Evos, but custom seat brackets add to their weight
-Front brakes replaced with lighter TCE setup
-Front and rear bumpers replaced with lighter JDM units
-Factory shocks/struts replaced with lighter coilovers

Items added/replaced with heavier pieces:

-Stock intercooler replaced by heavier FMIC and piping
-Methanol injection kit added including 3gallons of methanol
-Various electronics added like Maftpro and gauges
-Audio amplifier
-3/4 tank of fuel
-3" stainless exhaust? (I don't know if that's any heavier)

Car still has AC, power steering, spare tire and jack, etc. I'm not sure if the 17" wheel/tire combo is heavier, lighter, or the same. Probably heavier.

3280 lbs without me...

JNR

I thought they weighed more like 3,400 lbs. stock?

turbowop

I got curious and broke out the old brochure. Curb weight shows as 3295. I thought I remembered seeing it elsewhere at 3280 though. Maybe on the Autotrader sites.

Either way, I expected to be at least like 100lbs under that.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

3/4 tank of gas = 65lb or so
curb weight is usually measured dry.

CarRacer

Zero chance your exhaust is heavier. When I replaced mine with 2 1/2" stuff it was at least half the weight of the stock exhaust. That sh*t was crazy heavy. Are your seats heavier or something?

turbowop

The seats are way lighter, but the brackets that connect them to the floor are steel, and are fairly heavy. I've never weighed them alone, but I'd venture a guess to say they're a little lighter than the factory seats overall.

Brianawd

I know my car is 3380 with me in it with a 1/4 tank of e85. The only weight I have taking off the car is the race seat/JDM front bumper/ Carbon fiber hood and I put on Some willwood brakes.

Last edited:

turbowop

That puts your car at about 3180 without you, right? That's 100lbs less than mine. WTF? I know your CF hood lightens it up, but my JDM rear bumper should make up for that difference. You have a sunroof car, don't you?

Brianawd

Yes it is a sunroof car. I forgot to add that I don't have the spare tire or jack. Also I was using a scale at the recycling place so I don't know how good it is. Car could weigh more that that. Next time I get a chance I will taking it to a different scale and see what that one says

Nate

On E-Town's scales mine weighs 3230 with me in it.

No AC.
No Ps.
No ABS.
16" Volks.
6 pt chromoly cage
stock interior all around
Aluminum rear bumper
Hacked front bumper
No sunroof
Stock brakes
No 4WS.

I weighed probably 180 when I last weighed the car.

turbowop

Quoting Brianawd:
Yes it is a sunroof car. I forgot to add that I don't have the spare tire or jack. Also I was using a scale at the recycling place so I don't know how good it is. Car could weigh more that that. Next time I get a chance I will taking it to a different scale and see what that one says

I see. I asked the lady at the GearJammer how accurate the truck scale is and she went on about how they need to be accurate due to the truckers trailer weights blah blah blah.

I didn't expect a printed out weight ticket, so it seems pretty official. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
I see. I asked the lady at the GearJammer how accurate the truck scale is and she went on about how they need to be accurate due to the truckers trailer weights blah blah blah.

I didn't expect a printed out weight ticket, so it seems pretty official.

A weigh station or like where you went are going to be more accurate than where I went.

JNR

Well, sounds like they're a *slightly* lighter than I remembered, that's good.

Do you have a lot of stereo equipment, besides the amp? Boxes and such really can add some weight...Any sound deadener? (some of that can be almost 100 lbs!) gas is 6-something lbs/gallon so that adds up over advertised, as mentioned.

Someday I'd like to do this, just for curiousity...do they charge a lot?

turbowop

They charged me $9. More than I expected, but it's not going to break the bank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I don't have any subs or anything like that, so no weight added from a heavy enclosure. No aftermarket sound deadening either, just the factory sh*t.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

It's definitely interesting. Curtis and Turboflanagan are persistently taking digs at me about how heavy they think my car will be when it is finished.

If I can wind up at the end of the day like yourself I'll be happy. I just want to break even at about 3300 lbs. Time will tell. I'm adding more weight than you guys for sure but I also had the benefit of starting with a JDM car.

The fact that you haven't made an impact with removing all that stuff doesn't bode well though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif even if a full gas tank does add a fair bit of weight. I'll have to hope that the lack of bumpers, sunroof, electric belts, ABS, 4WS, hood and trunk helps make a good start. Even so, at the end of the day it might be wishful thinking seeing this!

RedTwo

You're heavier than a stock ZR4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
Start pulling out the interior - that will lighten it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is the brochure figure actually accurate? Some measures of kerb weight don't include gas, tools, and all that sort of jazz. Has anyone actually weighed a near stock one?

NateCrisman

I always wondered if truck stop scales were accurate in our cars range (2500-3000lb) and have resolution to measure the 25-50 lb changes we are looking for with modifying the car for weight. Afterall, the scale is accurate when measuring an 80,000lb loaded truck/trailer, that's it's design range. Just like your bathroom scale is accurate to weight 250lb person but it's not so accurate in trying to weigh a 2lb box. I think truckstop scales might be a good analogy.

turbowop

She mentioned the car possibly being too light to weigh it, but when I said the car weighed a little over 3k lbs she was like "whoa, that'll work". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I think she expected it to weigh like 1500 lbs or something.

Gordian79

Ideally you want to weigh car on same scale.my race cars weight was different in etown then in atco raceway.30 lbs heavier in etown.i weigh evo at show down 3472 with me in it yikes!

GVR-4

Mine weighed 3300 without me in it when I went to the landfill last. I've done little to no intentional weight reduction and I prolly had about 1/2 a tank of gas.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts