The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC conversion cost.

gvr4ever

How much should a proper AC conversion cost? I noticed today my AC felt a tad weak. I can probably use it for a few more months, maybe the rest of the year, but I suspect it is my last summer for sure. It is all original. Can I make some cash off the original coolant? I've heard it's valuable, but I don't really know.

Anyone on this forum in or near Indiana that does this?

my ac gets colder after a while . did you try a recharge? maybe your compressor is weak?

btw sorry for a short thread jack. where is the compressor?

gvr4ever

If I knew where to get R12, it would cost a lot. It was only in the high 80s, but high humidity. The other day if felt much cooler on longer drives. Ya, recycling the air over a long drive helps, but I can tell, it's getting weaker.

Not so sure about the AC compressor, but seeing the whole system is original, I'd imagine I have developed a small leak some place.

Anyone know how to find a leak at home? DIY....

belize1334

The compressor is located near the firewall on the drivers side under the intake manifold. The belt is driven directly from the crank pulley.

004tsi

Quoting gvr4ever:
If I knew where to get R12, it would cost a lot. It was only in the high 80s, but high humidity. The other day if felt much cooler on longer drives. Ya, recycling the air over a long drive helps, but I can tell, it's getting weaker.

Not so sure about the AC compressor, but seeing the whole system is original, I'd imagine I have developed a small leak some place.

Anyone know how to find a leak at home? DIY....

ebay for r12
And a leak kit to find leaks, consists of oil with dye in it, some specail glasses and a special flashlight, look around online or locally, they can be real handy, usually ya can buy the die for ac/oil/ trans etc

BoostedAWD91

ur better off just buying the R-134a conversion fittings if u still have the original R12 fittings. Pretty much all places will not refill R-12 anymore and nor will u get any money for what u have left in the system. I would just go to your local parts store and im pretty sure u can buy the A/C dye and glasses which u will add to your system and the leaks will show up green(i think its green, be awhile) Fix any leaks u have if there are any. Once everything is ready to go i would recommend adding some PAG oil or what the correct compressor oil is for our compressors and then fill the system up with R-134A and it should work great

littleb

+1 for the 134a conversion

R-12 is way to expensive. i think the epa has something like a $99 tax on it per 5 pounds or something? 134 is much cheaper and works better. Whatever you do don't buy the stuff with stop leak and all that bs in it. It does bad things to receiver/driers and expansion valves and such.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts