The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CMP exhaust, Muffler questions

fivestardsm

Ok, I need to gather some information from you guys.

I am muffler shopping, and I need a nice muffler that last. I have been around to all the local muffler shops to pick their brains, but what I have comeup with is pretty dicouraging.

I have done some research on flowmaster, flow-pro, edelbrock, magna flow and a few other knock off's. I have not been impressed by the rust on the stainless. the flowmaster and flow-pro seem to be the worst, although the magnaflow hadn't been on the car I saw for verylong. It seemed the edelbrock lasted quite a while . It was on my old bosses truck for 7 or 8 years and was still together. Rusted yes, but not like the others.

As for the CMP mufflers, I want to know from who ever has had thiers for a long time, if they have any rust issues. Keep in mind, I live in a state that has salt on the roads in the winter, but who knows, I probably won't drive it in the winter.

So, lets hear what you guys have to say about whatever you are running or have run before. I really want it to last a while, and am almost ready to say screw it and make my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gtluke

you absolutely can not use a chambered muffler on a turbo car, it just doesn't work. that's flowmaster and possibly edelbrock. magnaflow is straight through

Lonewolf64

I have a Borla TurboXL style muffler. It is super high flowing 3 inch inlet and 2x 2.5 inch outlets and is stainless steel. Of course, my car has never seen snow or salt so I cannot tell you how it would be in those conditions.

fivestardsm

How long has it been on your car? Would you have a picture of it under the car so I could see how it looks?

GIjoe

Quoting Lonewolf64:
I have a Borla TurboXL style muffler. It is super high flowing 3 inch inlet and 2x 2.5 inch outlets and is stainless steel. Of course, my car has never seen snow or salt so I cannot tell you how it would be in those conditions.

Im getting a Borla system with the turboXL muffler later this summer.. They have a 1 million mile warranty on their products...

Lonewolf64

It still looks exactly like this. It has been on there for about 2 years now.
exhaust2vu1.jpg

fivestardsm

What about Vibrant mufflers? Good? Bad? Ugly?

fivestardsm

Any more imput guys? I need to get one soon, and wnat to make sure I get the one that will be the most reliable. I did check on the BORLA, and WOW those are pricey. Id like to bring the total in around $150 or less and the vibrants are on sale right now for around $130.

Lonewolf64

While the borla is indeed pricey, you do get what you pay for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Make sure to update this thread with what you end up buying and pictures.

fivestardsm

I will let you know, but also, what are your oppinions on single 3" outlet, or dual 2.5"? Are the dual outlets quieter? I know tht when you buy the CMP, you get a choice of either the single or dual.

This is what I am leaning toward. They are running a special with coupon and free shipping.

magnaflow planet

This is the Vibrant:

Vibrant

Anyone running the BLOX?

BLOX

And too bad this wasn't 3" with dual out:

BORLA

Muskrat

I have a magnaflow 2.5" in 2x 2.25" out and 18" long body. If you're looking for quiet that isn't the solution... I had a 18" long glass-pack put in and it's still pretty loud.

bustedsm

Quoting fivestardsm:
What about Vibrant mufflers? Good? Bad? Ugly?

This is what mine looked like when I bought it, mounted it. The hanger wasn't welded on yet but once I'm finished putting stuff back into the engine bay and remounting the exhaust fully I'll send you much better pictures.

IMAGE_021.jpg

IMAGE_019.jpg

...and here is how it sounds with BC272 cams

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Thats a Vibrant muffler?

Dosen't sound to bad. How well does it hold up as in the rust department?

Also, does anyone think that the sigle outlet or the dual outlet is quieter? I would think that the single would be deeper than the dual. I seriously dont want to sound like a Honda on crack.

Hey you CMP guys, sound bites, Videos, Pictures??

fivestardsm

Quoting Lonewolf64:
It still looks exactly like this. It has been on there for about 2 years now.
exhaust2vu1.jpg

BTW Lonewolf64, what are the body demensions on that. And would you happen to have a video of it running?

borla TXL

Last edited:

bustedsm

Quoting fivestardsm:
Thats a Vibrant muffler?

Dosen't sound to bad. How well does it hold up as in the rust department?

Also, does anyone think that the sigle outlet or the dual outlet is quieter? I would think that the single would be deeper than the dual. I seriously dont want to sound like a Honda on crack.

Hey you CMP guys, sound bites, Videos, Pictures??

Yeah, single inlet 3" / dual outlet 3" angle cut out.

No rust on the muffler but you can tell that the rest of my exhaust need some love.

VIB-1148.jpg

That one

I wish I had a better WOT sound but this is kind of what it sounds like...

click

Deep and throaty, not a lot of droan at cruising.

4thStroke

Inline Magnaflow and 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet. I dont have any pictures, but its tucked away nicely, cant even see the body. I havent had it very long so I cant let you know how it will hold up in the long run. I dont mind the way it sounds.

*EDIT* Its a 3" inlet 3" oulet with a dual 2.5" tip weled to it.

It passes the sound limit in Portland city limits at night at the race track. It drones a little, but its not too bad.

click

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

Strangely enough Borla has a mistake in what sizes they offer because mine is Universal 3" Inlet 2 x 2 1/2" Outlet 19"x 4"x 9 1/2"

I don't have a video and unfortunately I'm a little JSB right now while the trans needs to go back in. I'll make a sound clip when I'm back on the street though. It is very deep with a 3 inch turboback, resonator/dynomax bullet muffler, and no cat.

CP

Stainless Dynomax Ultraflow is what I had and never got a second look from a cop for 4 years. It's a straight through "turbo" style muffler that sounds great and isn't restrictive at all.

fivestardsm

Well, I ordered the Magnaflow 14221 with single 3" inlet and 2.5" dual out. I did some serious research on all of the others and figured all the sizes and and such and figured that the Magnaflow would be best for what I have set up.

I'll do a decibl reading on the before and after to see exactly what the difference will be and how well this one sounds through a straight 3" turbo back.

If I don't like it, then I'll try another later. Also, I have already made the previsions in the exhaust for a high-flow 3" barrel ("bullet") cat.

Ill, keep the post updated so you all can know.

Maybe this will be a good staring point for future exhaust-ters to get comparisons before they buy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It looks like I'll have a whole bunch of testing to do for that tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned