The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Illuminated shif knob..Too much rice?

fivestardsm

I found this while rading an old mag. I kind of like it, even tho it is a little pricey.

What do you think, too ricey?

Bmp design shift knob

fivestardsm

Oh come on, it's a very well and clean designed look at least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No rice love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Do you really need to know what gear you're in with an H-pattern shifter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rice.gif

Last edited:

curtis

If attached to a sequential shifter it would be fine.

prove_it

IMO it's rice, but at least it's not bad. Would be cooler and more functional if the display could be located somewhere you could see it.

Barnes

If you have to ask, it's rice.

streetmasters

Holy deja vu! I swear I read this exact same thread 1 year ago!

fivestardsm

Quoting curtis:
If attached to a sequential shifter it would be fine.

These were my thoughts aswell. I found a setup a while back, it was actually on a galant also, that was a japanese site that I found through links on G-force. I don't remember the price on it exactly, but was around $400 usd. I have been trying to find it, (lost it in the great computer crash of 08) and that is why this caught my eye. Don't know if it would work though, I assume it works off from a motion sensor that learns the pattern and saves as a program. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

steve

Wonder if it gets confused by inclines/declines? I'm envisioning that its based on the angle of some type of fluid inside?

JNR

Rice is calling....If you have to look at your stick to see what it's doing, you don't deserve to be using one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously though, every once in a blue moon, I thought it'd be neat to have it shown on the dash. However, I generally always know what gear I'm in, based on the engine rpm and if it's in the up or down position, so to speak.

my wife's mazda 6 shows what gear its in on the cluster (1, 2, 3, etc.), *but* it's auto. Still a neat feature and if I had gobs of time and was bored, I'd see how to incorporate that.

vegeta1170

Total rice!!

fivestardsm

Quoting JNR:

my wife's mazda 6 shows what gear its in on the cluster (1, 2, 3, etc.), *but* it's auto. Still a neat feature and if I had gobs of time and was bored, I'd see how to incorporate that.

Exactly! If the read out could be tapped into or removed form the sensor and extended to have the readout on the cluster, that would be the best. I was thinking about this last night for a few minutes after everyone unleashed the wrath of rice on me.

JNR

The first step to a problem (rice) is to admit you have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I would think the easiest way to do something like this on a manual is the linkage at the transmission. I mean, each gear or reverse is unique, right? I'm sure there is an LCD screen that can assign each of the 6 inputs to a unique number (1 thru 5, R), although not an electronics expert. It certainly could be done and all those blank squares on the VR4 cluster beg for something! (I was going to put WI leds there)

mr.mitsu

What about a "B" and "G" lights for the pedals LMAO.

But seriously, I'll give it an "eh" for sleekness.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned