The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cleaning up Exhaust?

VR4ownzU

I just picked up this Cobb catback for my 00 RS. Just wondering if any of you guys have bought a used exhaust and used something to clean it up? The muffler is pretty much great but the rest needs a little work. Two years ago I grinded down a stock Type R exhaust and painted it with high temp exhaust paint. With this being stainless I'm not sure if I really want to do that. Any amazing paints/polishes/etc out there that prevent rust that look good?

2.jpg

TylerAdamson

My roommate has a 300ZX TT with duel HKS exhaust and he used the Mothers Power Ball with Mother polish to polish the exhaust up. It turned out really nice and seems to repel the water pretty well. Might want to give that a shot.

JNR

bar keepers friend...wear gloves, use a fine scotchbrite (grey) and you'll be amazed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then you can go the next step and finely clean, to even polish if that's your goal. Beauty of stainless is it will hold the shine, unlike aluminum (oxidizes) and will only require periodic cleaning.

btw - if it's stainless it shouldn't rust, but I bet its 409 SS, so some rust is possible; welds too if CS butted...take a magnet to it..3xx is non-magnetic. There's a spark test when grinding but the details elude me

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I would sandblast the pipe sections only & ceramic coat them. Then clean up the muffler manually.

fivestardsm

Nylon abrasive wheel. The pic is the only one I could find on line with a quick search, but they sell a Nylon wheel similar to this at Menards for around $10. The Nylon bristles are excellent, and are "supost" to last up to 10x longer thatn steel, but the biggest plus, is they clean very smoothly, and you can run them in your drill. Nylon abrasives are widely used in machine shops and fab shops for deburing engines and componets and finished product.

Personaly I like them.

click

click

VR4ownzU

Yeah I used wire wheels on my stock integra exhaust to get off all of the rust than I painted it with exhaust paint. That nylon wheel seems like a good idea but I'm wondering how strong those are...if they will do the job?

fivestardsm

They are pretty durable. The nice thing about them is they dont gouge the metal like the steel wire wheels. They give it the brushed look.

1990ggsxnj

Definitely something to try. I'm building a 3" from a duel camaro exhaust that I cut up and place together (almost exact stock placement achieved, btw) and have the tip that needs cleaning and painting so will give those a try.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts