The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Your Valve Cover Paintjobs?

Chim55117

Meh. The valve cover on my VR-4 was red, nasty, and coated with six layers of paint, and I couldn't stand it. So I bought a valve cover from Nate Crisman and sandblasted it and then proceeded to airbrush it with Duplicolor Semi-Gloss high heat engine enamel. It looks pretty good in my opinion, despite the fact that the areas where the letters were shaved off are not totally smooth.

The valve cover is just being placed over the one on sixsixtwo's VR-4 for mockup because I'm not going to my VR-4 until later this weekend or so.

Anyhow, comment on my valve cover, or post your own pictures of yours!

3rdstrikedsm

You never wan't to sandblast a vc because you can't get all the sand out of the baffels and it will ruin your turbo and maybe your engine over time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but here is how mine turned out, Kind of like yours.

TylerAdamson

Doesn't matter how well you mask off the underside of the valve cover, somehow blasting material always ends up under the baffles. The only way to get the media out is to remove the baffle, clean, and then re-weld the baffle back on.

mitsuturbo

I think i'm going to blast mine, but if i do, i intend to bolt it to a spare head with all gaskets in place before doing so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm relatively certain this would ensure no media gets into the VC baffles.

pachood_1953

^^ I believe thats how the JNZ finishing guys said they do it.

I have a spare JUNK head laying around, and a couple vc's, and I just got into powdercoating.

Time to get busy.

Brianawd

fivestardsm

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I think i'm going to blast mine, but if i do, i intend to bolt it to a spare head with all gaskets in place before doing so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm relatively certain this would ensure no media gets into the VC baffles.

That is how I did mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

524of1000

heres mine so far...

Its powdercoated black wrinkle w/ polished letters and the red diamond stat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the crinkle coat. My buddy did it to his oil pan. It holds up pretty well.

CarRacer

524of1000: I really like the allen head bolts you used. It makes it look a lot nicer. You just have to be careful to not over tighten, it could be easier to do with an allen wrench.

mikus

img.php

not the best angle for VC but you get the idea

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting chim55117:
Wait, allow me to correct your misconceptions. I masked off the valve cover. The bottom of the valve cover is completely clean.

It does not matter how clean it is and I would be willing to bet there is media in the baffles, That sand fover at 150mph so take is not going to do much to stop it from finding it's way in.

I wish someone would have told me this before I lost a turbo because of it and eventually lost my lower end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keep in mind the cover itself is a charcoal color, and the lettering matched the car color, bark metallic blue..the pic was an attempt to be artsy craftsy.. I did manage to spend a great deal of time cleaning up bad cast marks and customizing it

0710082144-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FCR

My color is from toyota tacoma xrunner (electric blue)

turbowop

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Quoting chim55117:
Wait, allow me to correct your misconceptions. I masked off the valve cover. The bottom of the valve cover is completely clean.

It does not matter how clean it is and I would be willing to bet there is media in the baffles, That sand fover at 150mph so take is not going to do much to stop it from finding it's way in.

I wish someone would have told me this before I lost a turbo because of it and eventually lost my lower end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I bead-blasted/powdercoated my valve cover over six years ago. I guess I got all the media out since I'm still running strong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

You can clean all the crap out, and if you mask it off well enough it'll do a good job of keeping the crap out.

Here's mine:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts