The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hks sports suspension?

14u2nV

Taking apart my car, I realized I had adjustable rears. I've had them off before, but it was before I really learned much about the cars, so I thought they were just stock. I've had them on setting 1, and I've been very happy with how it sat and handled (they still work perfectly - Chassis has ~80k miles, so they probably don't have a whole lot). Anyone know anything about them? What is level 1 compared to 8? They've been on it since at least 98, so I have no idea how old they are. Don't pay attention to the color, I painted them blue a long time ago.

Fronts have HKS and KYB stamped on them.

Last edited:

Dan D

Don't know about the springs but the shocks and struts look like they are AGXs. It's possible HKS had some re-valved, but they are probably just rebadged.

High # = more damping but AGX have fairly disproportionate compression and rebound so as you go higher in setting the ride and handling get pretty bad. On a stock'ish or slightly stiffer spring, rear 1-4 is best. Anything higher and rear end looses traction. If the fronts are also agx (little set screw on top of the strut) 1 or 2 is good - higher than that and the car will feel flatter in a corner, but it'll push really bad.

I've put about 70k miles on a set of AGX set on F2,R2 and the rears are starting to go out on me. Not too bad. If you have shorter springs, AGXs don't hold up to well. People tend to blow them out pretty fast with 1" or more drop.

14u2nV

Yup, looked in the top of the struts and they have little screws with 1-4. So were/are these a good setup? Like I said, I've always liked how it sat and handled,, thinking it was all stock. They work fine, So I think I'll clean them up real well and respray them. That'll save me some $$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RayH

They're similar but probably slightly softer than the GAB Super HP from the same period which were also made by KYB. I believe the orginal color on them was green.

turbowop

Your front springs are installed wrong. The upper spring seat should be parallel with the lower, like this:

/---/

Yours almost sit like this:

/---\

It's actually in the factory manual how they should be aligned, but yours are incorrect.

The springs on 503 were like that when I bought it and the top hats rubbed on the inside of the strut tower at full lock. I corrected the issue which fixed the rubbing problem.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yeah, there are corresponding holes in the upper and lower that need to line up when you put the spring compressor on.

14u2nV

I'm not sure what you mean, but they will be fixed. I'm gonna take the springs all off to clean them up.

*ok, maybe I see what you mean. The upper plate has a 1/2" hole, as does the bottom. These should be inline with each other?

Can you get replacements for these?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, you can get replacements for those, either stock or aftermarket. KYB sells them. I used some pieces from a 3g Eclipse. They are virtually the same dimensionally but made of a more indestructible foam or poly of some sort.

Get the KYB versions. They're made of rubber and have integral boots. I think tirerack sells them for $5 or $10 each, IIRC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts