The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

coilover sleeves

ok so i'm thinking about getting coilover sleeves now i have the evo 9 struts and i called ground control and they say that the galant sleeves will fit and work perfect what do you guys think? good idea? I love the way the evos feel so and i really want the ride height adjust ment of coilovers so please throw me your opinions.

This may sound ghetto, but it worked for me for a very long time.

Back in the days of SE-R, I used the Ground Controls on AGX. I had the problem of the AGX body being to small. I simply wrapped them in Duct Tape and hammered GC's down with a dead-blow.

Belive it or not this worked for well over 5 years.

any body? maybe some one can measure there evo struts if there not on the car and some one else measure stock vr4?

prove_it

I want to say they are bigger. It seems like they are. Could be the Bilstein shocks have a bigger diameter.

kartorium

I'm almost positive the OD of the evo body is bigger. If you talk to someone who actually knows their stuff at ground control they should be able to tell you whats up. Alex at Dentsport should be able to tell you for sure also, his brother used GC on his evo struts.

Ted Andkilde

Search for Alex' brothers track car VR4 thread -- it has all the GC part numbers listed for Evo strut fitment.

T

curtis

Well when your a jackstand baller measuring your evo struts are easy on the car because 800 fricking pounds isn't there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Evo 8 strut tubes are 56mm od but there's a problem already the very top has a machined steel sleeve with a 6 flat side at the very top like a nut. The machined part is 60mm od and the nut is even larger at the points. I guess they use this in final build for the seals because the piston/ram is so large in the assembly. Smaller coils would be nice to fit large wheels on the car but I'm not sure how you'll do this. Seems like you would have to find tubes 56 mm then cut the length down to fit between the factory spring perch and the machined factory sleeve on the evo unit and then cut them down both sides and have a machined clamp on the top and bottom. Problem with this the tube would have to have the threads cut on the outside and then cut down the sides and would have to match up perfect when installed so the jam nuts would turn.

Another thought is have a tube with threads on the outside and is 60mm id. Then have two halfs of a inter tube thats 56mm id and 59.99 od. You could grind the points of the nuts install the two halves and then slide on the big tubes for the jam nuts. They may do this this way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But my money with the guys that vote against the guy you talked to... the VR4 body is way smaller and is a whole different animal just by sight. I bet the factory VR$ od is probably 50 to 52 mm.

Don't go quoting exact measurements I used a 4 inch dial caliper and the struts are dirty but its within a few tenths of a mm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned