The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Making tools

fivestardsm

Who here makes their own specialty tools?

I finally broke down and got tired of beating the balance shaft bearings in and out to do BSE's, so I made these. They are bearing press' for removing, and installing the balance shaft bearings. This way I can actually line up the oil holes on engines that i don't do the BSE in. (which is what I am currently working on)
I checked all over for the mitsu tools, but couldn't find one of the plates, and they were gonna run me $300 for all of them from miller tools, and some other place.

I used what I had by way of a set of old bearings welded to an old Bal. shaft. It's used as the bearing press surface. I took it down a few thousanths so that it would slide through the journal easily.
The stubby shaft is the same way, and they both use the plate and bolt to drive the bearings in and out without maring them up.

Let me know if any of you make your own stuff, Maybe you can give me some Ideas.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cOmpressor

I've made many 4g63 specific and have some ideas if you are serious. That does lokk like some nice work also.

fivestardsm

Quoting cOmpressor:
I've made many 4g63 specific and have some ideas if you are serious. That does lokk like some nice work also.

Yeah, let me know some of your ideas.

I have made quite a few others as well:

Timing tools
Crank Holder out of an old balancer
Special angle wrences with 4 to 8 inches of extension
Lift points out of old mounts
Pan Jack holder
Oil pump wrench to remove the 6 point star over the rear B.S.
Wheel bearing drivers out of old wheel bearings
Chain-fall hoist out of Strut tops
These are the ones I can remeber right off hand.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot about my Head Stand for tearing them down and assembling.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Well they worked good. I just got done installing the B.S.Bearings, and they went in with no problem, and nor marking them up. I even got the holes lined up.

I'll tell you, the second bearing on the front shaft is a pain in the ass to get the hole lined up right. You need a little leprachun in there to line up the passages!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy St.Green P day BTW!

89coltgt

The bearing press looks very nice. I made the same thing years ago, but I just turned some stock to press out the bearings and used a piece of thread-all to hammer on.

Dialcaliper

I don't have a picture of it, but I've been using a piece of aluminum cut to the right diameters for the balance shaft bearings and to brace inside the block, and a piece of 1/2" allthread with some grease. Hold the inner end with two jam nuts and a wrench, and tighten the nut on the outside to "pull" the bearings out. The new bearings are pulled in the same way. I think its a bit cleaner than the hammer method

Fivestar, for the castle plug on the front case, what kind of "oil pump wrench" did you make it out of?

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

I made one out of a large socket.

fivestardsm

Quoting Dialcaliper:

Fivestar, for the castle plug on the front case, what kind of "oil pump wrench" did you make it out of?

It was an 1 1/16 craftsman 12 point socket. I turns out that every other point of the socket, fits right in one of the tabs on the plug.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ooo, I think I have a socket that size. I'll have to try that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts