The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

one more timing belt question...

324vr4

so 324 is about put back together and i have a problem i can't figure out. got the timing belt all set and the car was idling for about a 1/2 hour. when we turned off the car, the timing belt was loose, really loose. we called it a night and got back after it this evening. after rotating the crank to get everything timed in preparation of removing the belt, the belt re-tightened itself. i checked the tensionor gap and it fell at .17, well within spec. what gives? is this normal behavior for the tensionor, or is it on it's way out? it's brand new, but not oem (it's napa, i know, i know...) thanks! it would be nice to get the car running again tonight!!!

CP

OEM only, and it needs to sit for a while after installation, prior to initial startup.

Terry Posten

Yeah, you need to set it and spin it by hand, then let it sit for a while and re-test everything.

324vr4

yeah we did that initially and everything checked out fine. it was after it was idling for a bit then turned off that we noticed it was loose. after rotating the motor to get the pulleys timed, it tightened right up again. is this correct and is the tensionor good? does this make sense?

Terry Posten

It is the cams and the springs that load the belt and unload the belt between the gears.

Mine does not do it, but my cousins car did once. I redid the tension process and it went away.

You may want to redo the process again to be safe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned