The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HID's

Brunoboy

Anyone on here have HID's??? j/w if so, have any pics?

cOmpressor

mountaineerjeff

yes lots of people have them, pics are all over this site, and google, and youtube
it doesnt seem like too many people do it right with projectors though, they just put them in the stock headlight housings, or just in the usdm fogs.

galant hid via search

Here's my car old bumper and new bumper with HID's in the low beams and Fogs
l_7fe01880356c88dc517e67bb745bfc1b.jpg

l_d8a186c4c59fba37fe366aa9b811fe2f.jpg

l_6807d352db53476cad4bcd0325b1f4b1.jpg

did all the evos have them? the 8's and 9's?

My buddy has a totaled 8 if they are stock i might be able to score his!

Last edited by a moderator:

EMX5636

IIRC it was an option on all the Evo's except for MR's. It's pretty easy to tell though, just look underneath the headlight and you'll see the HID ballast bolted there.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting Jesse_W:
Here's my car old bumper and new bumper with HID's in the low beams and Fogs

Are the ones in the low beam in a projector housing?

Brunoboy

ok failed..........I was just wondering, I wanted to do 6k on the low beams and since i dont have fogs 3k high beams for the yellow.........

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting Jesse_W:
No stock head light housing, its a conversion kit.

Though so. I don't want to burst your bubble but those things look like crap at night and they're actually annoying/dangerous to other drivers. They don't have the proper cut off like HID's in a projector housing do.

Here's how a proper HID in a projector housing is supposed to look.

Last edited:

thecman02

It doesn't have the proper cut off of a projector housing or a free form that was designed to house HID>

14u2nV

So put eyelids on the stock headlights with black paint, and you'll have your cutoff. Easy fix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

boostedinaz

I put HIDs in my 93 headlights when I cleaned them up. With the clear lens they don't scatter light as bad as some would have you believe. I have driven behind a few people and none of them have said anything bad about the lights. I also have never had anyone from oncoming traffic flash me. Now the stock lights with all the angles and refractors could being an issue.

Are any of these as good as a true projector retrofit, no, but they aren't horrible either.

Last edited:

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
Quoting Jesse_W:
No stock head light housing, its a conversion kit.

Though so. I don't want to burst your bubble but those things look like crap at night and they're actually annoying/dangerous to other drivers. They don't have the proper cut off like HID's in a projector housing do.

actually mine do not bother other drivers ive never had a complaint with the galant, now my suv they do piss people off.
l_233323c8c1d255939f76292fef3adb63.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ggsxkid

Quoting boostedinaz:
I put HIDs in my 93 headlights when I cleaned them up. With the clear lens they don't scatter light as bad as some would have you believe. I have driven behind a few people and none of them have said anything bad about the lights. I also have never had anyone from oncoming traffic flash me. Now the stock lights with all the angles and refractors could being an issue.

Are any of these as good as a true projector retrofit, no, but they aren't horrible either.

i will also 2nd this comment. in both cars i have 93 headlights one car has 6000k hids and the other has 3000k (yellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) hids. i have never had anyone flash me. i have asked friends if it looks like i am throwing light everywhere they have said no.

they may not have a cut off like a projector lens but they are not as bad as some other cars ive seen with retrofits.

Brunoboy

so with 92 headlights, im going to be flashing everyone???

boostedinaz

Quoting brunoboy:
so with 92 headlights, im going to be flashing everyone???

If you aren't going to do a tru retrofit then 93s are the way to go.

EDIT:

Here is how to refurbish your headlights.

Here are my HIDs in 93 headlights.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I have also had them in my GVR4 with 93 housings for years and never had anyone flash me over them. I made my own kit by re-basing a set of Acura bulbs but that shouldn't matter much based on what many here say about the glare they supposedly will cause. You have to be careful how you aim them, keep them a little on the low side to lessen any potential problem for other drivers. This wasn't an issue on my GVR4 but I did have to lower the aim on my truck when I put them in. IMHO, 4300K is the only way to go since its the closest to pure white. Higher = blue/purple and lower = yellowish, neither of which is ideal for seeing IMHO.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts