The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electronic boost controllers your oponion

THEKID

i am looking for a good electronic boost controller with in cabin control. And i prefer a digital display but i want it to read in psi not kpa. I like this one world. But it is pricey. I have discussed this with my tuner and he says they are the best on the market. whats your opinion?

THEKID

i like the avcr but it does not read in psi

Lonewolf64

I have the TurboXS DTEC electronic boost controller/fuel controller/wideband O2 combination. It's great and the display via gameboy SP is pretty nifty. The best part is that once you've set your boost and fuel trims you can unplug the gameboy and stow for reduced clutter. Just use your boost gauge to show boost, no need for a fancypants digital display built into a boost controller.

THEKID

all i need is a boost controller i am running aem ems. i know i can controll boost from the aem but my tuner says to use an external controller.

Lonewolf64

Well, you can purchase the DTEC boost controller on its own and it will work just fine.

THEKID

not really a fan of turboxs

GVR-4

^^ +1

A few years ago, Sport Compact Car did a shoot out of electronic boost controllers and the GReddy Profec B was rated very high. IIRC, it and the Blitz had the same solenoid which cycles to control boost. The quality of the solenoid has a big impact on how well boost is controlled.

Champ_168

Old Skool Hks IV... FTW!

Polish

Original Profec B all the way.

onesickcrx

AEM’s TRU-BOOST Gauge-Type Controller I love mine. I use to have the Greddy profec B one which worked great came with the car. I just like the simpicty in haveing all in one. It is a Digital gauge it has 2 boost settings and can add or decrease boost on the fly and being able to data log it is quiet nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quoting THEKID:
all i need is a boost controller i am running aem ems. i know i can controll boost from the aem but my tuner says to use an external controller.

Why don't you just use the AEM to control the boost?? That's what I did. Pulled out my high $$ HK$ boost controller and took advantage of the AEM.

ApexHunter

Blitz Dual SBC gets my vote. Although it doesn't read in psi, its got a lot of nice features and has good accuracy. Peak/hold, warn, scramble, and 4 easily programmable settings you can toggle between quickly and easily. For example you could have low and high boost for your pump gas maps and low and high boost for your race gas maps. And maybe i am even forgetting other features, can't remember. Overall i really like it.

Quoting Champ_168:
Old Skool Hks IV... FTW!

I like this one as well but he wants it to read in psi which the evc 4 does not.

You coudl always save yourself some money and get a hallman manual cockpit bc for, I think, around 180 bucks.

Never heard of that world bc, I doubt its the best on the market, some retailers will tell you anythign just to move some product.

eviLntt

Quoting Lonewolf64:
I have the TurboXS DTEC electronic boost controller/fuel controller/wideband O2 combination. It's great and the display via gameboy SP is pretty nifty. The best part is that once you've set your boost and fuel trims you can unplug the gameboy and stow for reduced clutter. Just use your boost gauge to show boost, no need for a fancypants digital display built into a boost controller.

Somewhat of a thread jack... how easy is the DTEC to set up and use? I have been looking at these for a while but wanted to get some feedback from users before I got one.

Lonewolf64

Personally I think the DTEC is a great system--the only drawback might be the price. If you get the fuel controller/boost controller package you still have to purchase the wideband addition to make full use of the DTEC's datalogging capabilities (you really want to get the DTEC specific wideband so that you can datalog everything through the gameboy interface) and this attachment is quite expensive at almost $400! The boost controller function is nothing short of excellent. You can tweak a lot of advanced settings that I haven't messed around with yet, as well as having peak/hold and scramble boost options and even gear dependent boost levels.

As for the fuel controller bit and wideband addition, I cannot yet tell you hands on how well it works because I have not yet set up the fuel control part of it, but I'm setting that part up this winter in about a few week's time. However, I have looked at the interface of the fuel controller part and it is relatively straightforward with RPM and % tables (how much fuel to add or subtract) as well as some more advanced features that I have not yet delved into.

As for installation: The boost controller is very simple to install. It comes with very clear directions on how to wire it in and how to run the vacuum lines. The difficulty of installing the fuel controller is identical to that of installing a SAFC. They are similar systems, with the DTEC being more advanced and effective. The gameboy is detachable, and is used just used as the interface for the DTEC "thought box" that you can mount somewhere out of the way.

eviLntt

Thanks for the info! I think I will be getting one when the times comes, I really like the fact you can tuck it out of the way somewhere and unplug the Gameboy to keep it hidden.

boostedinaz

Quoting Polish:
Original Profec B all the way.

Yup. I got mine brand new in a close out sale for like 200.00 bucks. Sure it doesn't have all the fancy bells and whitsle, but I have yet to meet anyone that uses those bells and whistles anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned