The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

well.. thats 2200 down the drain...

rod knock, and piston slap from massive detonation! also, there was metal material in the oil, and alot of it. looked like glitter mixed in.
so, me being the dsm guy that i am i decided it was time to go completly broke once again.
[youtube]fripRqjPECQ[/youtube]

IMG01207.jpg

IMG01212.jpg

IMG01213.jpg

IMG01219.jpg

IMG01223.jpg

well i had a few minutes at the shop so i did a little investigating.

IMG01226.jpg

IMG01231.jpg

yeah thats bearing material.

IMG01228.jpg

WTF is this?

IMG01227.jpg

thats my number 4 rod cap. you cant see, but i assure you there is way, way to much play in it. im saving that cap for last.

IMG01230.jpg

i just popped off a random cap, number 3 and this is the top side of the bearing, facing the cap. :TD:

but the pistons look brand new, and the walls look great from what i could see.

this is what i have to toat around in for the next few weeks.

IMG01232.jpg

G

Staff member
uH no engine management ftl?

Terry Posten

Is that "bar" an oil squirter part?

Kevin was missing 2 of the 4 little tubes when we took his old motor apart. Never did find those little bastards.

ktmrider

Quoting Terry Posten:
Is that "bar" an oil squirter part?

Kevin was missing 2 of the 4 little tubes when we took his old motor apart. Never did find those little bastards.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. Common on 2.3L+ stroker builds if the squirters are not bent or replaced with EBO models.
Bummer about the scrapnel, hope you get back on the road soon!

Terry Posten

My cousin's was a 2.0 with 2G pistons. Ran OK just started pushing coolant.

yeah, i have engine managment but i added way to much fuel for my application and i washed the oil big time.

im working out of the Fort Leonard Wood mwr auto craft shop, a good friend of mine manages it and my brother is a mechanic there, so im there alot also.

i believe it is a oil squirter unfortunatly, i think its just rod bearing faliure. but time to go bigger and better.

curtis

Use to use the one on FT Campbell all the time. Man If I had about 2 million dollars I would open a facility just like that for civilians. They make a mint there.

For you guys that don't know every military post has one. Its for the guys to use to fix or restore a car or even an oil change. You rent the bay with tool or lift with tools, paint booth etc. They have huge tool rooms that have just about anything. You pay by the hour and they charge for each tool and if you loose a tool you get charged for that.

curtis is right!

its one positive thing about being in the military, or even being a dependent! just ours is needing a good fixin, and a few new tools.

i tore the motor down, and all the bearings were fine, except the numbe 2 rod bearing. it was TOAST. It scored my crankshaft, so im on the hunt for a new crank and rod. or just a running 6 bolt bottom end.

ktmrider

Not too bad then.
DialCaliper has a nice crank in the FS section here click that's mic'd and everything.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

eh, ive seen stuff like that go for a little cheaper locally. i think i have located a crank and a set of rods.

Quoting somovr4:
curtis is right!

its one positive thing about being in the military, or even being a dependent! just ours is needing a good fixin, and a few new tools.

Or a contractor. I used to use the one at Scott AFB all the time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned