The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Boost gauge install pic..

Just thought I would finally post this pic of my gauge install. It took far too much work for what it is but at least I am very happy with it. And it works perfectly (after many hours of tinkering). Sure hope someone else appreciates it.
Micah.

that is so badass man, too bad I have 2 gauges I need, otherwise for just one that is killer.

definitly looks great
cool.gif

l have to ask because l`m constantly diving into detail oriented jobs that end up taking waaaay too long (but look cool)....just how long did it take? don`t lie either.l bet the next one will be a breeze though.
smile.gif

4orced4door

Awesome install. Isn't it harder to look down there than to the A-Pillar to see how much you are boosting though? Although if you're just going for a stealth, clean look, you hit the nail on the head. I just don't know if that's as easy to read as a 60mm gauge on the A-pillar right in your face.

RayH

I appreciate the amount of work since I did the same thing a while back. Knowing exactly where it's going before cutting and breaking plastic was key. I lucked out with mine and was able to mount it right through one of the existing auto transmission indicator bulb holes which also put the gauge flush with the existing ones without any shimming. Having a blank spot on the flex circuit board directly behind where the hose needed to go through didn't hurt either.

good deal

but why not to read the stock boost gauge.

I.ll do the same! may be...

DOES ANYBODY HAS electrical boost sensor?

quote:Originally posted by mromik:
good deal

but why not to read the stock boost gauge.

I.ll do the same! may be...

DOES ANYBODY HAS electrical boost sensor?
The stock boost gauge isn't really a boost gauge. It "predicts" what the boost should be based on a number of inputs such as air flow and throttle position. It's really only useful for determining if you have a boost leak (stock gauge shows boost, aftermarket shows none) or if you have a Keydiver ECU.

Very, very nice install job. Me like.

markrieb

If you really want a stroll down memory lane or to see just how far we have come, look for Ray's posts to the original talon digest.

Mark Rieb

quote:The stock boost gauge isn't really a boost gauge. It "predicts" what the boost should be based on a number of inputs such as air flow and throttle position.
Very, very nice install job. Me like.
And even if it was accurate, its 5 blinking lights. You wouldn't be able to tell what psi you were at anyway.

It probably took me 24 hours total time or more, but I did it over a couple of times. All kinds of issues I had with it. Where I had the hose going the first time made the gauge want to rotate to the left. I didn't support it well enough the first time and it tore through some of the connections on the circuit board. Fixed those, then had the fixes break. Got another board from a local guy thats been very nice. Also had the gauge parts hitting the trip meter mechanicals and reading inaccurately. And yes it is harder to read where it is than a pillar pod, but I didn't want everyone that pulls up beside to see a gauge or two sitting right there. And Mark I didn't really understand what your post meant. thanks again, Micah.

that looks totally steath ! great job .. has anyone tried mounting a boost gauge off the "hood"
of the intrument panel, it would hang right between the tach and the speedo ?

RayH

I had the same initial problem with the gauge mechanical coil bumping into the odometer and not reading above a certain psi. Also mine isn't backlit since I used an old HKS gauge which was supposed to be sidelit. Was planning on installing a small led to light it but never got around to it.

The cool thing is seeing all three needles turn together when you floor it and the goal is to have all of them parallel to each other pointing somewhere to the right
smile.gif

uno. i have a lot of respect for you now. that looks amazing. i don't care if its a little more work to look at than on the a pillar... it just seems to be at home there. very nice. so clean its just amazing. if you spend that much time with you car on the installs and it turns out that nice, i'd have to see more of it. post more pics.
smile.gif

markrieb

For you newbies, Ray H (along with Nate Pharr and Ron Gregory) is one of the members that has been playing with his GVR-4 since the original Talon Digest was started, and long before we ever had a separate GVR-4 playground.

Ray did the Boost Gauge in the Dash mod back around 1995 or so and posted about it in the Talon Digest, along with a bunch of other GVR-4 mods.

If you have read the Talon Digest archives you would be surprised at how far we have come. Like how the very first VFAQ ever written (before Tom Stangl started VFAQ.com) was written by Nate Pharr on how to install an upgraded fuel pump in a GVR-4. It was GVR-4 guys who figured out how to modify the window switches so that you could have "auto up" as well as "auto down". And I think it was GVR-4 guys that figured out how to mod the fog light switch to allow the fogs on at any time, not just with the low beam headlights.

Just a little history lesson and a hello/welcome back to an old friend/member.

Mark Rieb

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts