GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » GVR-4 vs. EVO VIII
Previous thread Next thread

GVR-4 vs. EVO VIII

markrieb

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58471 posted 03/26/03 12:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
In my spare time, I put together the following table comparing the GVR-4 and the EVO VIII. They are much closer than you think...

You can find the .pdf file at the yahoogroup GVR4List http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/GVR4list/files/EVO%20VIII%20vs%20GVR-4/Lancer%20vs%20GVR-4%20comparo.pdf

If somebody will help me figure out how to post the table here I can do that also.

Mark

Mark Rieb

Posts: 612 | From: Kennewick, WA, USA | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (206.219.255.152) | Report this post to a Moderator

theymightbegalants
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58472 posted 03/26/03 12:52 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Cool info, thanks Mark.

| | | IP: (134.10.23.206) | Report this post to a Moderator

a_santos
Brasileiro Turbinado

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58473 posted 03/26/03 01:53 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Mark, you forgot one category:

"Rareness Factor"

EVO-VIII Not rare GVR4 Very Rare
Advantage: VR-4

Also RPM at 60mph for the VR4 is 2900, I read it on a C&D article I think.

Posts: 2057 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Member Since: 10/22/02 | IP: (198.111.38.164) | Report this post to a Moderator

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58474 posted 03/26/03 02:46 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So the EVO VIII is roughly the size and weight of the GVR4 like we guessed yesterday on the phone.

Interesting.

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.13.73) | Report this post to a Moderator

PJGross
both buccal and lingual
490/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58475 posted 03/26/03 03:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Cool, but I have a question:
Carbontrix "valve cover" is the spark plug cover, right? I got excited and looked at the page for a CF valve cover but saw the spark plug cover.

Just clarifying b/c I didn't know which on the EVO was magnesium.

You could put in there Stainless Steel with # engraved from sleeper (gabor) too. Can't wait til mine gets here. [Smile]

-PJ

Posts: 1470 | From: Lake Orion, MI | Member Since: 12/05/02 | IP: (12.44.48.39) | Report this post to a Moderator

RayH
561/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58476 posted 03/26/03 03:46 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Interesting that the Evo VIII has a larger wheelbase and track than the GVR-4 and almost the same weight. I'm guessing that the older Evo Lancers were a little bit smaller since I thought that the rally switch from Galants to Lancers was mostly due to size and weight.

It would be interesting to compare interior and trunk space.

Posts: 2697 | From: NJ | Member Since: 04/09/01 | IP: (167.211.190.2) | Report this post to a Moderator

gvr4ever
Forever Member
347/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58477 posted 03/26/03 05:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I thought my redline was 7200 RPMs

Posts: 5787 | From: Lafayette, IN | Member Since: 08/06/02 | IP: (12.221.228.124) | Report this post to a Moderator

markrieb

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58478 posted 03/26/03 07:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I really did this chart to try and figure out if I was trying to talk myself into or out of a new EVO.

I'd really love to have a new EVO. But I refuse to pay $5,000 over list for one. I was also looking at what it would take to bring the GVR-4 up to EVO VIII spec's. The only thing that is not easily quantifiable is the revised suspension and how much better the EVO is over the GVR-4.

I think I'll just wait a while and see if the prices come down or if a good used EVO comes up in the next year or two. Also, it will be interesting to see what the WRX STi will do to the market.

Mark

Posts: 612 | From: Kennewick, WA, USA | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (206.219.255.152) | Report this post to a Moderator

Tear It Up Sports
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58479 posted 03/26/03 10:04 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I just bought an Evo VIII, and I can tell you without any question, its handling is far superior to the Galant. The weight of the two cars is similar, but the Evo does not feel heavy like the Galant does.
In the Evo you can not only feel the suspension, but the chassis rigidity as well. Taking 90 turns at 30 mph is a breeze, and I could do it a lot faster.

Engine wise, there is no doubt that both cars have the same potential, and I can not attest to the Evo power yet because I haven't opened up the throttle yet. Just from the blip I had though, this car will satisfy many more people in stock form than a Galant would. The power is there instantly at almost any speed.

I can give a full review later as I break in the car more. One note is that the Evo is at 3000 rpm at 70 mph.

-

| | | IP: (67.210.16.154) | Report this post to a Moderator

a_santos
Brasileiro Turbinado

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58480 posted 03/27/03 12:23 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
What a site. The daddy (VR-4), and the young kid (EVO VIII).

Whose your daddy?
quote:
Originally posted by Tear It Up Sports:
I just bought an Evo VIII, and I can tell you without any question, its handling is far superior to the Galant. The weight of the two cars is similar, but the Evo does not feel heavy like the Galant does.
In the Evo you can not only feel the suspension, but the chassis rigidity as well. Taking 90 turns at 30 mph is a breeze, and I could do it a lot faster.

Engine wise, there is no doubt that both cars have the same potential, and I can not attest to the Evo power yet because I haven't opened up the throttle yet. Just from the blip I had though, this car will satisfy many more people in stock form than a Galant would. The power is there instantly at almost any speed.

I can give a full review later as I break in the car more. One note is that the Evo is at 3000 rpm at 70 mph.

-

Posts: 2057 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Member Since: 10/22/02 | IP: (68.41.73.246) | Report this post to a Moderator

smokindav
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58481 posted 03/27/03 08:53 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Does the EVO VIII have the twin scroll turbo? How laggy is it? And what about those Brembos? Do they stop as sweet as they look? How often do you have to fill up the intercooler sprayer bottle? What do you use in the winter to keep it from freezing? I have many questions!

Thanks,
Dave Flaherty

| | | IP: (128.255.248.210) | Report this post to a Moderator

Yao

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58482 posted 03/27/03 01:01 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Wondering if I am the only one. Hoping to adopt the 13" brembo brake to our GVR4. Anybody think it will fit?

Posts: 810 | From: Denver, CO | Member Since: 03/06/01 | IP: (208.253.246.92) | Report this post to a Moderator

Hertz Galant VR4.org Administrator
OneTitle to rule them all.
77/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58483 posted 03/27/03 01:25 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
Originally posted by Yao:
Wondering if I am the only one. Hoping to adopt the 13" brembo brake to our GVR4. Anybody think it will fit?

Evo 8 is 5 lug.

Posts: 13499 | From: Chicago, IL | Member Since: 07/29/02 | IP: (64.108.204.241) | Report this post to a Moderator

AWDpower
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58484 posted 03/27/03 02:35 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I got a rude awakening on just how much of a gap there is between the EVO and GVR4 last weekend.

I've played the numbers game too, and noticed that there are a lot of similarities between the two on paper. I also noticed that it wouldn't be difficult to get the GVR4 to match the EVO, on paper.

A friend of mine bought an EVO the first day they went up for sale. I drove the car a couple times, and was very imprerssed with it. I found the car to be more then the sum of it's parts, and figured it would be faster then expected. Still, I figured It would not be difficult to attain the performance of an EVO, although I knew I wouldn't be able to duplicate the feel.

This last weekend, I attended an autocross with my friend. I brought my GVR4, he brought his EVO. My GVR4 is pretty lightly modded, maybe 230-240hp. The suspension consists of eibachs and AGX's, which I'm very happy with, and camber bolts in front. I had a big disadvantage in tire, as the car has 215-45-17 Toyo all seasons- not exactly autocross tires. [Smile]

Still, I figured I could make it up with my driving. I autocrossed the GVR4 stock, with pep-boys tires, last time, and did pretty well. I
beat most of the other street tired cars, including many WRX's. With the mods, my car was now MUCH quicker. I'd say I'm pretty good for a casual autocrosser. I usually run my Talon, with the same suspension, although with more power and tire. The Talon is usually one of the fastest of the street tired cars. I hadn't autocrossed in months, but I came in first place at a rallycross in the Talon, so I was feeling pretty confident. My friend is a good driver, but hadn't autocrossed in years. When he showed up at the autocross, I saw that he just put a killer sound system in the car... and a LOT of weight in the trunk. I felt like I had the advantage. He was just worried about not doing too bad, since everyone was watching to see what the EVO could do.

Well, he SMOKED me. Bad. I was very happy with my car, it handled great, did everything I asked of it. Unfortunately, I frequently asked the wrong things, my driving sucked. I did manage a couple of decent runs. But he was almost FOUR SECONDS faster in the EVO! That is a huge gap. he drove well, but with practice he will be a lot faster. I can close the gap with stickier tires and a bit more power, but four seconds is an eternity in autocrossing. I'm still shooting for EVO level performance from my GVR4. It will just take a lot more work then I thought.

| | | IP: (63.29.240.2) | Report this post to a Moderator

theymightbegalants
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58485 posted 03/27/03 04:27 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
As one of my friends likes to say, "Fix the driver, not the car!"

Keep us posted on your Evo "zero" buildup.

| | | IP: (134.10.23.206) | Report this post to a Moderator

Nate
May I have your autograph?

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58486 posted 03/27/03 05:29 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Evo 8 does have the twin scroll turbo. Barely any lag at all. GVR4s will be able to match the Evo in power production pretty easily.

What GVR4s won't be able to do is handle or feel anything like the Evo. It feels so LIGHT, and that's a great feeling. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

Posts: 944 | From: Worcester, Pa | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (68.80.13.73) | Report this post to a Moderator

chadhayashi
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58487 posted 03/27/03 07:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Someone asked about the weight of the old (evoIII)
cars. They were down around 2800-2900 lbs if memory serves.
Chad

| | | IP: (12.208.233.145) | Report this post to a Moderator

NoMoreVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58488 posted 03/27/03 07:52 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Some are comparing the VR4 of today( the 11-12 year old car) to the BRAND NEW EVO VIII. You cannot compare the 2. How many can actually remember what the VR4 felt like brand new?
I'm sure that if the VR4 was new like the VIII, some opinions would greatly differ. Granted yes the VR4 fells like a boat but look at it age. Lets just see how the VIII feels in as many years.
I'll keep my VR4 thank you.

| | | IP: (68.56.210.128) | Report this post to a Moderator

howard
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58489 posted 03/27/03 08:14 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
Originally posted by 1312VR4:
How many can actually remember what the VR4 felt like brand new?

I remember what the GVR4's felt like when they came out, and they were no Evo 8.

I don't buy the "see what the Evo 8 feels like in a few years" argument. Despite the age and wear gap, the Evo 8 is just a stouter car, in every category.

Nate's right, total power production will probably never wildly exceed the old 4G63 potential, but the overall platform is much better than the GVR4.

| | | IP: (4.3.175.131) | Report this post to a Moderator

NoMoreVR4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58490 posted 03/27/03 08:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Not to mention 12 years of technology. Hence you can not compare the 2.

I'm sure it will be more reliable, in the years to come compared to the VR4 [Roll Eyes] Considering i'm sure they will prolly only make it for 2 years. Lets see the EVO has had 8 revisions in 11 years wonder why??
They are not around long enough to compare to any perticular vehicle.

| | | IP: (68.56.210.128) | Report this post to a Moderator

DeanCouchey
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58491 posted 03/27/03 10:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I know about half of the people on this board are younger people. I myself am 20 and I got the car when I was 17. And for the money and adding 5K into it and to be abel to run with a 35k car I dont mind running a 12 year old car. I can barely afford my rent and college payment ($200 a month) I am gonna be just able to afford the mods I wanna do. I cant imagine what I would have to do to afford that. Plus I like to be an orginal.... I got yellow shoes and yellow hair, so why not have a older car that is very rare and be a member of a great group, and not some kid or some one that had the car bought for them. Oh and BTW.... a 93.5 Supra is like what 20K... at 15K in mods and kill an EVO!! They are nice but to expensive for me!

| | | IP: (24.195.241.123) | Report this post to a Moderator

markrieb

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58492 posted 03/28/03 10:37 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well, I do remember what the GVR-4 felt like when they are new. I'm one of the few that bought mine new off of the showroom floor in November of '91.

I agree the EVO *has* to be better. The chassis is much stiffer and the suspension geometry is greatly revised. In the racing world, power is realatively easy to make, chassis and suspension stuff on the other hand is hard/expensive to improve.

Like I said before, I put the table together to try and help me decide on whether to keep on trying to develop my GVR-4 or to buy an EVO and start all over again. Best of both worlds would be to keep the GVR-4 and buy and EVO, but I'm not sure the wife or my checkbook could live with both...

Mark

DeanCouchey
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58493 posted 03/28/03 10:47 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
In the racing world, power is realatively easy to make
Unless you own a HUN-DUH!

| | | IP: (24.195.241.123) | Report this post to a Moderator

Vr4in'
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 58494 posted 04/07/03 04:25 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
thanks for the info...learned something today. [Cool]

| | | IP: (65.32.218.225) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6276

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page