The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR-4 vs. EVO VIII

a_santos

Mark, you forgot one category:

"Rareness Factor"

EVO-VIII Not rare GVR4 Very Rare
Advantage: VR-4

Also RPM at 60mph for the VR4 is 2900, I read it on a C&D article I think.

number3

So the EVO VIII is roughly the size and weight of the GVR4 like we guessed yesterday on the phone.

Interesting.

PJGross

Cool, but I have a question:
Carbontrix "valve cover" is the spark plug cover, right? I got excited and looked at the page for a CF valve cover but saw the spark plug cover.

Just clarifying b/c I didn't know which on the EVO was magnesium.

You could put in there Stainless Steel with # engraved from sleeper (gabor) too. Can't wait til mine gets here.
smile.gif

-PJ

RayH

Interesting that the Evo VIII has a larger wheelbase and track than the GVR-4 and almost the same weight. I'm guessing that the older Evo Lancers were a little bit smaller since I thought that the rally switch from Galants to Lancers was mostly due to size and weight.

It would be interesting to compare interior and trunk space.

markrieb

I really did this chart to try and figure out if I was trying to talk myself into or out of a new EVO.

I'd really love to have a new EVO. But I refuse to pay $5,000 over list for one. I was also looking at what it would take to bring the GVR-4 up to EVO VIII spec's. The only thing that is not easily quantifiable is the revised suspension and how much better the EVO is over the GVR-4.

I think I'll just wait a while and see if the prices come down or if a good used EVO comes up in the next year or two. Also, it will be interesting to see what the WRX STi will do to the market.

Mark

I just bought an Evo VIII, and I can tell you without any question, its handling is far superior to the Galant. The weight of the two cars is similar, but the Evo does not feel heavy like the Galant does.
In the Evo you can not only feel the suspension, but the chassis rigidity as well. Taking 90 turns at 30 mph is a breeze, and I could do it a lot faster.

Engine wise, there is no doubt that both cars have the same potential, and I can not attest to the Evo power yet because I haven't opened up the throttle yet. Just from the blip I had though, this car will satisfy many more people in stock form than a Galant would. The power is there instantly at almost any speed.

I can give a full review later as I break in the car more. One note is that the Evo is at 3000 rpm at 70 mph.

lg_tearitupsports1.jpg

a_santos

What a site. The daddy (VR-4), and the young kid (EVO VIII).

Whose your daddy? quote:Originally posted by Tear It Up Sports:
I just bought an Evo VIII, and I can tell you without any question, its handling is far superior to the Galant. The weight of the two cars is similar, but the Evo does not feel heavy like the Galant does.
In the Evo you can not only feel the suspension, but the chassis rigidity as well. Taking 90 turns at 30 mph is a breeze, and I could do it a lot faster.

Engine wise, there is no doubt that both cars have the same potential, and I can not attest to the Evo power yet because I haven't opened up the throttle yet. Just from the blip I had though, this car will satisfy many more people in stock form than a Galant would. The power is there instantly at almost any speed.

I can give a full review later as I break in the car more. One note is that the Evo is at 3000 rpm at 70 mph.

lg_tearitupsports1.jpg

Does the EVO VIII have the twin scroll turbo? How laggy is it? And what about those Brembos? Do they stop as sweet as they look? How often do you have to fill up the intercooler sprayer bottle? What do you use in the winter to keep it from freezing? I have many questions!

Thanks,
Dave Flaherty

Yao

Wondering if I am the only one. Hoping to adopt the 13" brembo brake to our GVR4. Anybody think it will fit?

Hertz

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by Yao:
Wondering if I am the only one. Hoping to adopt the 13" brembo brake to our GVR4. Anybody think it will fit? Evo 8 is 5 lug.

I got a rude awakening on just how much of a gap there is between the EVO and GVR4 last weekend.

I've played the numbers game too, and noticed that there are a lot of similarities between the two on paper. I also noticed that it wouldn't be difficult to get the GVR4 to match the EVO, on paper.

A friend of mine bought an EVO the first day they went up for sale. I drove the car a couple times, and was very imprerssed with it. I found the car to be more then the sum of it's parts, and figured it would be faster then expected. Still, I figured It would not be difficult to attain the performance of an EVO, although I knew I wouldn't be able to duplicate the feel.

This last weekend, I attended an autocross with my friend. I brought my GVR4, he brought his EVO. My GVR4 is pretty lightly modded, maybe 230-240hp. The suspension consists of eibachs and AGX's, which I'm very happy with, and camber bolts in front. I had a big disadvantage in tire, as the car has 215-45-17 Toyo all seasons- not exactly autocross tires.
smile.gif

Still, I figured I could make it up with my driving. I autocrossed the GVR4 stock, with pep-boys tires, last time, and did pretty well. I
beat most of the other street tired cars, including many WRX's. With the mods, my car was now MUCH quicker. I'd say I'm pretty good for a casual autocrosser. I usually run my Talon, with the same suspension, although with more power and tire. The Talon is usually one of the fastest of the street tired cars. I hadn't autocrossed in months, but I came in first place at a rallycross in the Talon, so I was feeling pretty confident. My friend is a good driver, but hadn't autocrossed in years. When he showed up at the autocross, I saw that he just put a killer sound system in the car... and a LOT of weight in the trunk. I felt like I had the advantage. He was just worried about not doing too bad, since everyone was watching to see what the EVO could do.

Well, he SMOKED me. Bad. I was very happy with my car, it handled great, did everything I asked of it. Unfortunately, I frequently asked the wrong things, my driving sucked. I did manage a couple of decent runs. But he was almost FOUR SECONDS faster in the EVO! That is a huge gap. he drove well, but with practice he will be a lot faster. I can close the gap with stickier tires and a bit more power, but four seconds is an eternity in autocrossing. I'm still shooting for EVO level performance from my GVR4. It will just take a lot more work then I thought.

As one of my friends likes to say, "Fix the driver, not the car!"

Keep us posted on your Evo "zero" buildup.

Nate

Evo 8 does have the twin scroll turbo. Barely any lag at all. GVR4s will be able to match the Evo in power production pretty easily.

What GVR4s won't be able to do is handle or feel anything like the Evo. It feels so LIGHT, and that's a great feeling. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

Someone asked about the weight of the old (evoIII)
cars. They were down around 2800-2900 lbs if memory serves.
Chad

Some are comparing the VR4 of today( the 11-12 year old car) to the BRAND NEW EVO VIII. You cannot compare the 2. How many can actually remember what the VR4 felt like brand new?
I'm sure that if the VR4 was new like the VIII, some opinions would greatly differ. Granted yes the VR4 fells like a boat but look at it age. Lets just see how the VIII feels in as many years.
I'll keep my VR4 thank you.

quote:Originally posted by 1312VR4:
How many can actually remember what the VR4 felt like brand new?
I remember what the GVR4's felt like when they came out, and they were no Evo 8.

I don't buy the "see what the Evo 8 feels like in a few years" argument. Despite the age and wear gap, the Evo 8 is just a stouter car, in every category.

Nate's right, total power production will probably never wildly exceed the old 4G63 potential, but the overall platform is much better than the GVR4.

Not to mention 12 years of technology. Hence you can not compare the 2.

I'm sure it will be more reliable, in the years to come compared to the VR4
rolleyes.gif
Considering i'm sure they will prolly only make it for 2 years. Lets see the EVO has had 8 revisions in 11 years wonder why??
They are not around long enough to compare to any perticular vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts