The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MAF translator for sale!!

a_santos

Hey guys,

The much heard about MAF translator is finnaly available for purchase. I do not know of anyone using it, hopefully I will be soon. Here is the link, or if you live in the Detroit area you can just go to Ramchargers.

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=29841&cgmenbr=541&cat1=29839&cat2=29840

And it is only $199.
grin.gif

gvr4ever

I'd really like to know how to adjustment foe different size injectors. You gotta read the link to understand
smile.gif

a_santos

It works and well. You will start seing AFCs go for cheap know.
wink.gif
But who wants one
confused.gif
I can't wait to get my hands on one of these kits. It is alos supposed to make the BOV almost as loud as one that just vents
smile.gif
quote:Originally posted by DongeR615:
it phases out the s-afc, and 2g mas mod from what i read at dsmtuners and dsmtalk. if it works this would be great for people who runs 12's daily driver.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35397

and from mike himself
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81175

gvr4ever

That would be sweet. My plan is to have my car tunned this year.

If I only needed to add injectors, FMIC, and this MAF translator, it would really make it easy. And cheaper. I take it a GM air counter (MAF) is cheap?

it phases out the s-afc, and 2g mas mod from what i read at dsmtuners and dsmtalk. if it works this would be great for people who runs 12's daily driver.

and from mike himself

a_santos

You can either run a 3" or a 3.5" GM MAF. You can buy at the dealer for about $100 or used at a junkyard for about $20. quote:Originally posted by gvr4ever:
That would be sweet. My plan is to have my car tunned this year.

If I only needed to add injectors, FMIC, and this MAF translator, it would really make it easy. And cheaper. I take it a GM air counter (MAF) is cheap?

and from mike himself

Ian M

quote:Originally posted by kartorium31:
or get it from your friends z28 who just realized he needed to upgrade when u offer him some bank
grin.gif
Funny you mention that,theres a guy at my work who just upgraded the MAS in his WS-6 Trans Am..Ive been meaning to ask him about his old one..
wink.gif

On a related note: Have any of you noticed that on both DSMtuners and DSMtalk that that thread is four pages long,and is mostly the same damn questions being asked and answered OVER and OVER again?..If I read another (same) question about venting the damn blowoff valve,Im gonna puke. I imagine there's going to be a lot of 14 sec 16g cars with knarly sounding BOVs hitting the streets soon..
wink.gif

quote: Funny you mention that,theres a guy at my work who just upgraded the MAS in his WS-6 Trans Am..Ive been meaning to ask him about his old one.. Would be funny to beat his newly modified Trans Am with a car using his old MAS LOL!
grin.gif

I imagine there's going to be a lot of 14 sec 16g cars with knarly sounding BOVs hitting the streets soon..
wink.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

what's wrong with the 16g?

Ian M

what's wrong with the 16g? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Im not knocking on the 16g. Im knocking on all the ricers who'll be buying the this mostly because they can make their BOVs louder. The guys who spend boatloads on a car that wont even out run a descent running 14b car.

Ian M

quote:Originally posted by Frankypoo:
quote: Funny you mention that,theres a guy at my work who just upgraded the MAS in his WS-6 Trans Am..Ive been meaning to ask him about his old one.. Would be funny to beat his newly modified Trans Am with a car using his old MAS LOL!
grin.gif
Yeah,and actually making more horsepower with it too.
smile.gif
He's always talking smack about me having a Mitsubishi. Im letting him have his fun for now...
wink.gif

gvr4ever

Does Ramchargers make the MAF translator or just sell it? Has anyone on this list bought the MAF translator?

I wish they would have the vfaq up for something they have a price tag on. I'd really like to read more about it. I hope it is all it claims to be.

Ian M

quote:Originally posted by gvr4ever:
Does Ramchargers make the MAF translator or just sell it? Has anyone on this list bought the MAF translator?

I wish they would have the vfaq up for something they have a price tag on. I'd really like to read more about it. I hope it is all it claims to be.
Bailey Engineering is the manufacturer,Ramchargers is the vendor. Jeff O. is supposed to be getting one to evaluate,Im curious to see the results. Check out the above links,in the threads,Mike L. of Ramchargers has pretty thoroughly explained it and stated that there will be a VFAQ page coming soon. A couple guys who have test units have posted and have had nothing but good things to say about it.

They would probably sell twice as many if they called it the "BLOW OFF VALVE SOUND AMPLIFIER" instead of the MAF translator. Sad but true.
smile.gif

I read through all 5 pages of questions and both posts that had answers, but I had a question for you guys.

Since I come from the 2g/AFC world and was never familiar with the hks VPC system, can one of you guys explain how tuning is different with this? I understand that the restricitive stock sensor is gone and some of the technical reasons why it is better, but I don't understand how the fine tuning is done.

When I had the AFC in my 2g, I would go out for a test run, datalog the run, write down the EGT and boost readings, and fine tune the settings on the AFC accordingly.

With this system, I imagine you go out and run the car, datalog it etc, but what then? I understand there are a couple knobs but how do they correspond to rpm/fuel readings? I guess I don't understand how just a couple knobs would be as good as an AFC type system where you have tuning adjustment at each rpm level. I just need some help understanding the real life method that you use to tune your car with the GM/maf translator.

I'm admittedly ignorant here, and just need some help understanding this.
confused.gif

Thanks
Jon

a_santos

An AFC is only good because the stock ecu cannot understand the info it is reading because it is beyond it's parameters. The use of bigger injectors also disrupts ECU operation. With the MAF translator, it sets certain paremeter so they don't change, this includes temperature. A hotwire MAF is much simpler in operation than our stock MAS, and by setting certain paremeters, the translator can comunicate with our ecu. Also there are 3 fuel trims you can adujst with the MAF translator, low, medium, and high. The size of injectors can also be dialed in by percentage value, from smaller than stock and to larger than stock. This eliminates tuning that would normally have to be done to compensate for these changes. And to boot, it flows way more than a 2g MAS. This means better spoolup, more turbo and blow off valve noise, and more power. And all for $199 plus the sensor.

I will be getting mine very soon.
tongue.gif

quote:Originally posted by Numberless:
They would probably sell twice as many if they called it the "BLOW OFF VALVE SOUND AMPLIFIER" instead of the MAF translator. Sad but true.
smile.gif

I read through all 5 pages of questions and both posts that had answers, but I had a question for you guys.

Since I come from the 2g/AFC world and was never familiar with the hks VPC system, can one of you guys explain how tuning is different with this? I understand that the restricitive stock sensor is gone and some of the technical reasons why it is better, but I don't understand how the fine tuning is done.

When I had the AFC in my 2g, I would go out for a test run, datalog the run, write down the EGT and boost readings, and fine tune the settings on the AFC accordingly.

With this system, I imagine you go out and run the car, datalog it etc, but what then? I understand there are a couple knobs but how do they correspond to rpm/fuel readings? I guess I don't understand how just a couple knobs would be as good as an AFC type system where you have tuning adjustment at each rpm level. I just need some help understanding the real life method that you use to tune your car with the GM/maf translator.

I'm admittedly ignorant here, and just need some help understanding this.
confused.gif

Thanks
Jon

blacksheep

Abhay

let us know how it goes, I want one but wanna make sure its approved by some of the members.

With bigger injectors, will the s-afc be needed to fine tune trims?

Mine will be here Monday. Along with all my other stuff...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts