The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fmic install pics

turbowop

I took some pics of the install of the starion fmic and rre pipes I bought from Ken. I had the pipes repowdercoated in a crinkly black.(red just didn't do it for me)Looks like the dejon side exit bov return tube doesn't work with rre piping. The bov return is being relocated to a better location on the intake this week:
fd159a53.jpg
I don't know about you other guys with rre pipes but the fit kind of sucks. I cut the lower u-pipe in half in order to lengthen it and turn the ends a little different. The hoses fit much better this way imho.
fd159a55.jpg
All in all it turned out good. I got the piping and ic mounted and the bumper back on by the time the sun went down at 5pm tonight. Damn winter hours.....and working outside in 30-40 degree weather sucks. I should be able to test it all out by next weekend. Here is a pic of the ic installed with the bumper back on and off:
fd159a58.jpg
fd159a56.jpg
Mark

Romanova

You gonna help me do this when spring rolls around Mark?
grin.gif

Nice job man... looks great!

Looks good. The crinkly black is very nice. And man, I love the centerlines.

Looks great, Mark! I know what you mean about fitment... actually that lower u-pipe is the only one that really bothered me, I think I'm gonna cut & lengthen mine too.
smile.gif
Good idea; thanks. The one feeding the IC (driver's side) didn't fit the greatest either, but I have a different IC than you (Spearco/Griffin) and I did get it to fit after some muscling. Nice job!!Jon F.
'92 #305

About the Dejon intake, I haven't put mine on yet, but it's the 2G adapter pipe. Is anyone else using this and the RRE pipes simultaneously? Or know of any fitment issues?Jon F.
'92 #305

ken inn

i have both the raptor and the dejon intake, the dejon is the 2g mas on a 1g car. both have the bov vent tube going straight up. i got them to fit the rre pipe bov by using basically 2 gvr4 bov hoses, and the short metal tube to connect them. fits near perfect. i actually bought a 1g talon bov hose(37 bucks!) and cut it, but i ended up with a piece almost identical to the vr4 one. a word to the wise, the dejon powdercoating is TOO good. the flexible coupling kept coming off. i took the dremel, and made some grooves around the connect part. also, make damn sure it is clean and dry when you connect them up.
when i posted about this intercooler, it seems all i got was sh*t about the starion being a pos. hmmmm.

quote:Originally posted by ken inn:
when i posted about this intercooler, it seems all i got was sh*t about the starion being a pos. hmmmm.Just wait, Doug hasn't put in his .02 yet;-P
Like Ken said, I just rotated the Dejon so the BOV outlet was straight up: http://home.ptd.net/~keydiver/intake.html
I don't care what some people say about the Starion, its got to be 1000% better than the stock system. Looks great!
Jeff O.
#1886/2000

Nate

If that's the kit I think it is, that particular kit got a Galant to go 12.29 @ 112. True, it's not as efficient as a Spearco/Griffen/Apexi, but it works better than the stock one by far.

ken inn

yep, that's it. the nate pharr signature edition. repowdercoated black. some of us want to follow in your footsteps, some of us want to wear your shoes.

If I remember right that set-up was on Josh Jones’s car about five years ago. Before that is was probably on a 1988 Starion at the junkyard. Then it went to Nate, then Ken now it’s on another Galant. That intercooler surely does have a history. Mark could have probably spent little more money and got a nice new Speaco intercooler 2-178 from IRC at a nice price. Mark you have very nice looking Galant with some sweet looking wheels. That intercooler just does not compliment the rest of your car. I just don’t care to put used intercooler from the junkyard on my car. I would rather spend the extra money and buy a new intercooler.See what they have to say about used intercooler from the junkyard here:
http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm#Import%20or%20'Grey'%20Intercoolers

Wow, great site Doug! Thanks for posting it, lotsa good info.Jon F.
'92 #305

markrieb

I have the full RRE piping and IC kit with a 2g DEJON pipe. The BOV line doesn't line up and I had to kind of ghetto the installation with some flex tubing.To do this again, I'd buy the 2g MAS in a 1G car DEJON pipe and things should work pretty good.The BOV line issue is one of my many winter projects.Mark

turbowop

quote:Originally posted by Doug Thomas:
If I remember right that set-up was on Josh Jones’s car about five years ago. Before that is was probably on a 1988 Starion at the junkyard. Then it went to Nate, then Ken now it’s on another Galant. That intercooler surely does have a history. Mark could have probably spent little more money and got a nice new Speaco intercooler 2-178 from IRC at a nice price. Mark you have very nice looking Galant with some sweet looking wheels. That intercooler just does not compliment the rest of your car. I just don’t care to put used intercooler from the junkyard on my car. I would rather spend the extra money and buy a new intercooler. Whenever I buy used parts I try to refurbish them as best as I can to be like new. This is why the piping was redone and I chemically cleaned the intercooler and straightened the few bent fins that were there. I do not ghetto rig my sh*t.(not that I think that's what you're implying)
smile.gif
It was a good deal. I can always upgrade to a Spearco later on. I figure I paid for new piping and got a free modded Starion core. I have a friend that does powdercoating so it didn't cost a penny to have that done. I just have to help him with his car as he helps me with mine. And I think it compliments the car just fine.....at least better than the stock ic bullshit. I'll tell ya, I'm tapped out after buying this, an intake, a rre catchcan, stuff to relocate the battery, an optima red top, and have some new suspension pieces on the way. At least for now. When I feel it's necassary I'll look into a Spearco.Thanks for all the compliments,
Mark

BluFalcon

Do you have any pics of how the intercooler is secured to the car? I have a Starion I/C I got from 1QuickVR4 (Thanks Zach) that's been modifed to fit the stock GVR4 piping. I figure this would do until I got a better FMIC, and it has got to be better than the stock I/C. I just wanted a better way to mount it onto the car than with zip ties and good intentions. There's a local shop that can weld aluminum, I figured I'd just have some straps welded to it and bolt it on to the car. Just wanted to see how you'rs was secured.

turbowop

Hmmmm.....it's kind of hard to explain other than that there is a bracket on top and one on the bottom and a little bit of angle iron is mixed in there. These mount to the core support. It's mounted cleanly though...as in it isn't half assed. The brackets were on the core when Ken shipped it to me, so I kind of engineered it to work the way I thought it was supposed to with what I had. Since you're in Denton maybe you could have Ken show you on your core where brackets need to be welded on or made to fit. He may even have pics of the install on his car. He couldn't show them to me because he was having problems loading them on his computer. He's good at explanations. I'll let him do it.Mark

so mark, you hadto dump the foglights in order to do the pipe to the throttle body huh? i was just curious, b/c im in the process of my custom setup and it doesnt look like the bumper will go on with the foglights still in.

number3

quote:Originally posted by hibern8:
so mark, you hadto dump the foglights in order to do the pipe to the throttle body huh? i was just curious, b/c im in the process of my custom setup and it doesnt look like the bumper will go on with the foglights still in.
It possible. See my routing and they will still fit.Harry

turbowop

You could keep the foglights, but I didn't like how low the pipe would have to go if they were retained in order to clear them. I also notched out the sheet metal below the horn where the u pipe goes thru. If you look at the pic of the front of my car above you will see this. The pipes fit better this way. And besides....I don't drive the car in the fog anymore.BTW.....the setup rocks. I still need a clutch so power just slips away, but it comes on waaay sooner now and pulls harder. I'm worried about clutch break-in now since it's almost impossible to keep out of boost. Barely stepping on the throttle gets the car out of vacuum.Mark

harry the pic of your car looks to have no foglights but my eyes may be playing games.....i forgot to mention, im running the spearco 2-221 which has top and bottom end tanks, inlet and outlet on same side. this is so i can get rid of the crossover pipe going over the HOT manifold for less restriction. i thought i would ask becasue for being stock foglights, they are badass. i only drive this cr in the summer too so i dont need them, just like them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts