The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dash separation at the defroster vent-Passenger side

powerplay

This was a nasty job. It isn't one I would care to do again. The dash has a copper double side tape which holds the foam/vinyl dash to the plastic understructure. The copper foil lets go over time due to heat I believe. This is also complicated by the degradation of the foam. The foam becomes very dry and brittle and loses it hold to the copper foil as well. So JB weld to the rescue. We use it, but it really isn't the better material to use. Some other adhesive that is much thinner with good holding properties would be better.
The problem:

The fix:

If you attempt this and use JB keep some alcohol handy as it will remove the JB weld from the vinyl. You can't help but get it on the vinyl and as long as you remove it before it sets up, it will come off. If you don't get it until it is hard you will have to take a sharp instrument and pick it off very carefully.

You have to clamp the dash piece from two directions. It has to be pulled up and over to get it back in position.

As you can see, you have to get JB weld underneath the copper foil and over the foam so it can hold both in place. If you don't get it on the foam, it will let go of the copper when you remove the clamps. The more JB you get into the foam the better holding power you will get.

here it is done. As you can see, it isn't back in the orignal place because of the thickness of the JB weld. Because you have to put the epoxy on the foam you can get it to return flat on the understructure.

In the car and hopefully it will hold over time. I hope this helps for members who are willing to attempt the fix. Maybe someone will come up with a better adhesive fix.

Last edited:

steve

Mine is separated like that but I'm not interested in pulling the dash out. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif

boostx

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/jawdrop.gif thats was a lot of work

I did the exact same thing using Gorilla Glue. It foams up but if clamped properly, it will foam out the edges instead of inside the dash. Looks damn near perfect. A very small amount of unevenness but you have to really look to see it.

Good write-up. *shakes fists at blazing hot sun*

powerplay

I have used that stuff on other projects but I was afraid to use it on this one for the very reason you said, it expands while setting. I am glad to hear it worked. It might be a better solution.

CP

I'm gonna fix mine the next time the windshield is out for replacement. You should have done it that way since you get a free one through insurance yearly in MA. Or do you like to torture yourself? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

JNR

Damn, I could've used some of those clamps when I had to fix our wooden cabinet door (frame with glass) /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

I haven't look at that area, but hope mine isn't coming apart like that, yikes! I do know that part near your left leg, in the drivers seat, with that useless cover panel is getting messed up...I'm thinking an '89 panel will fix that!

powerplay

There are other advantages in having the dash out. It isn't that bad of a job to remove. We did some other maintenance things while we had it out for a few months. Fixing it through the windshield would be harder to get it clamped in the right place. Good luck trying to do that while the windshield guy is standing there waiting for you to clamp it and it sets up over night so he can put the new windshield in. They aren't likely to come on day and remove the old one and then come back another day to put the new one in.

steve

You could smash your old one out and have them replace it when you're done. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/idea.gif

4Grim

Quote:
Mine is separated like that but I'm not interested in pulling the dash out. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif

Mine too..fortunately its not severe. It just reminds the car is really that old. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/crazy.gif

Rausch

mine's terrible...nice write up....i always planned on using some high test 3M spray adhesive, but this maybe a good alternative.. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I need to do this on both cars, but have resisted the work so far...

RayH

Strongest tape would be 3M VHB acrylic adhesive tape. Same stuff used to attach body panels and the glass to skyscrapers. Only problem might be if the surface is brittle, the tape may pull the surface off.

14u2nV

for those not interested in doing all the work, My 92 gs ( probably all of them) came with the exact same dash as my vr4. Probably easier to find one of these than to try to repair an old one. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
You could smash your old one out and have them replace it when you're done. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/idea.gif

Done it before, plan on doing it again in another two or three months when the car gets painted. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

powerplay

I have looked around for a few years for a dash without the problem and couldn't find one. That might be a good suggestion. They are a pain to try and ship and I couldn't find one locally that didn't have the same problem. I know in the case of my car, the orignal owner spent winters in FL and summers here. The dash saw a lot of sun/heat, I suspect without a garage.

JB

This thread is just further evidence of the time, effort, expense and knowledge dumped on Scotts car. One of the top cars on this site IMO.

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

Brunoboy

ok so I am bumping this, Does the vents pop off? can it be taken out while still in the original position?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned