The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 4g63 motor in gvr4?

gtluke

same engine
you'll have to put your galant motor mounts on the 90 engine, and swap your oil filter housing as the 1990 didn't have water lines to it, but instead had an oil cooler.

464/2K

the CAS and throttle body are different.

BluFalcon

I pulled the rebuilt motor in my 90 Talon (long story) and installed it in my GVR4 a few months ago. Here's a few things I had to change over from the 90 configuration to get it in the car:

Throttle Body
Coil Pack
Ignition Power Transistor
CAS
A/C Tensioner
A/C Compressor Mount Bracket (On the side of the block)
Water Neck/Thermostat Housing Assy
Water Pipe
Oil Filter Housing
Front Motor Mount Bracket That Bolts To The Block (The one closest to the radiator). If the motor you're using came from a 1G AWD then you can leave the Rear Motor Mount Bracket on the block for the GVR4 install. According to CAPS, the front motor mount bracket is the only one that's unique to the GVR4.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head and I'm sure I missed something. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

i've got a 90 in my car. i kept the oil filter housing and water pipe on mine. got a setrab oil cooler, changed the rest of the stuff mentioned though i can't remember if i changed the cas... i must have but it was such a long time ago.

one thing i remember hear was that 90 motors have milder cams in them. i never changed mine though. couldn't really tell that they were any different.

Nate

I believe an old chrysler master tech told me one time that the part numbers for the 1990 exhaust cams is the same as the non-turbo cars.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts