The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo question...

I have a evo3 16g that I bought new about a year ago. I put about 150 miles on it before deciding to do an engine rebuild . I just finished taking off all the parts on the engine and it looks like the waste gate doesn't close all the way. The Question is, should I be able to spin the gate when is closed , keep in mind that I cant see any light coming through unless I stick my finger in there and put it at an angle. But it doesn't seem to have any friction or pressure against the turbo housing as I thought it would; is this right ? or can it be adjusted ?. Thanks for any input.

D

Polish

It should seal up, put a washer behind each wastegate mount bolt. Between the actuator and the compressor housing, it should seal up then.

You should not be able to spin the gate door. It should be hard pressed up against the turbine housing.

Rausch

+1 i just took my old 14b apart, and noticed pretty much the same thing. i saw the washers when i removed the actuator, and realized why they were there. wastegate spins too easy when unloaded. at least mine did, but then again, the whole thing is pretty shot.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

CP

Take it off the manifold and look to see what the problem is.

Ya, its off the mani at this point., Ill have to look to see if the washers are there, I dont recall off hand. I alsmost wonder if there isent a washer soppose to be behind the wasgate and in fromt of the "bolt" holding it on. I wonder if the wasegate acuater got bent closer to the housing when I was removing it or something.

D

CP

That pivot arm for the WG that the actuator arm attaches to should only move 90* (or so).

Polish

There are no washers from the factory. It's common practice to add some though. Especially if it won't seal or blows open under high boost. It should seal but could have gotten bent or something like you said.

Ok, I see what your talking about. It does not appear bent, but a 2 or 3 mm washer between the housing and the acuater should do the trick.

Thanks again

W0rd
D

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned