The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EASY TINT REMOVAL!!

Boostin21

Well i was talking to my chemical provider at work last week, he told me how easy it was to remove his ugly tint and i thought i would share maybe if its good info it can get thrown into the how to section.

What you need:
Ammonia water in a spray bottle
Black garbage bag
scissors
sunlight

To do:
using the garbage bag, cut out the shape of the desired window (leave a little extra on one side). spray some ammonia water on the window covering the entire surface making sure all of it is wet. lay the cut out section of the bag over the window. put it out in the sun and let it chill for a few hours.
go back to it, grab the extra piece of the bag and slowly remove, the bag sghould be stuck to the tint. my chemical guy said it all came off in one piece, leaving a little adhesive behind, but the rest came off on the tint.

i will try it myself to double check i have extra windows with wicked purple tint, and i will post pics.

cullen
but hey i know BRIANAWD will appreciate, now he can stop making excuses about his montsrous diamond star!!

Rausch

^^ intersting....any particular strength of ammonia to water, as in is it diluted? oh, and i would imagine that you'd have to let the car air out for a bit, as ammonia is not good for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
what about the defroster ?

CP

That method won't mess up the rear defroster.

For any tint glue left on the windows (other than the rear window with the defroster lines) FINE steel wool will take the rest off.

skivittlerjimb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Awesome tip!

280/1000 has tinted door glass. Tinted front window door glass is illegal in VT, and it's also a dark enough tint that it makes things a bit blurry from a distance.

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

Brianawd

If this works, I will love you long time. The only reason I have not pulled my tint off was because I did not want to spend hours cleaning the glue off the window. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
If it works with out destroying the rear defroster it will be a good tip.

Mark

This does not work on all tint. Mine had horrible purple faded baked tint on the glass. tried this method and a few others nothing worked.. Had to scrape scrape scrape..

Yeah i have hardcore purple tinting >_<
let me know how this comes out
pics please!

Boostin21

will be trying this tomorrow hopefully and will post pics. and Mark it probably didnt work because OLD OLD OLD tint wont come off at all! as for the defroster, the guy who told me about it, used it on his built CRX on the rear window and the defroster lines stayed on!

maybe mixing the ammonia with chlorine bleach will be better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif[pause]in heaven

Mark

Quote:
will be trying this tomorrow hopefully and will post pics. and Mark it probably didnt work because OLD OLD OLD tint wont come off at all! as for the defroster, the guy who told me about it, used it on his built CRX on the rear window and the defroster lines stayed on!

Yep

It didnt matter just decided to screw the lines aned take it off.. they are still there but barely noticeable.. I dont drive car in winter so it doesnt matter anyways.

mine never worked & even here in the wet NW I've never had a problem with the rear window fogging. now if someone can tell me a good way to get all the effen pine tree pollen out of all the cracks & crevices... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Boostin21

well it wasnt sunny yesterday for me to try... so hopefully today i can set it outside while i get close to finishing my wiring!

I spent hours when I first got my car removing all the door glass tint and was dreading doing the rear quarters and back glass. I decided to try my Wifes $30.00 CONAIR Clothes Steamer and wouldn't you know all of that sh*t came off all in one sheet in less than 30min.! That thing works great and no damage to the rear defroster, maybe a few steam burns but it was worth it. So if any of you guys have access to a steamer and are planning on removing tint, try it, I promise you it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
no sh*t ^ ?

Seriously Dude it works. You have to hold it at one corner for a minute or two to get the corner pulled up and then hold it right under the tint and adhesive while you pull off the tint. Make sure you you get ahold of both the tint film and the adhesive because they will come off in seperate sheets, so you don't have to do it twice.

G

Staff member
A heat gun should work then.

teet

Brian...I have a steamer you could borrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
I spent hours when I first got my car removing all the door glass tint and was dreading doing the rear quarters and back glass. I decided to try my Wifes $30.00 CONAIR Clothes Steamer and wouldn't you know all of that sh*t came off all in one sheet in less than 30min.! That thing works great and no damage to the rear defroster, maybe a few steam burns but it was worth it. So if any of you guys have access to a steamer and are planning on removing tint, try it, I promise you it works.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned