The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wrinkle finish paint for engine

I've been planning to paint my valve cover and intake with red engine enamal, but then I saw a valve cover that had been powder coated with a textured/wrinkle finish and I'd really like to do that with a paint. So far all I can find is black wrinkle finish paint. Anybody know where I can find it in different colors in a spray can? Needs to withstand engine heat. Thanks.

I did my cam cover with Krylon wrinkle spray paint for autozone and it's held up fine.

CO VR4

Eastwood has it mail order as well.

JNR

You know what I found to be a good trick when I painted my heatshields, to give it a neat texture?

After I painted it and it was still slightly wet, I took my propance torch and went over it, waving it...took some practice, but if you leave it in one spot for a (short) period of time, it makes the paint kind of blister, giving it that 'sand' look...

Definitely practice, but I think it's a good alternative texture (I like the wrinkled finish)...Another thing that Rustoleum makes is the 'hammered' spray; that takes a little skill (practice) also, but the results are nice! I *think* it could withstand the heat of the valve cover, but not 100%...One word of caution for a nice finish: make sure the coat is totally dried and cured before spraying clearcoat over it. On my drillpress, I got the paint all looking real nice (the hammered finish) and got in a hurry and sprayed the clear, before it dried...dammit, it blended in with all the 'pockets' of the paint and looked like crapola!

Myles

Just was searching and found this. Has anyone seen White Wrinkle Spray? Or know anyone that I could send a VC to?

Thanks

HHIVR4

Hammered finish industrial enamel will look great.
There is also some paint out that gives the marbled effect.I cant remember the name of it tho.

Myles

Is that a spray or a paint on? Any links? I really think a Wrinkle coated White VC would look awesome.

Quote:
Is that a spray or a paint on? Any links? I really think a Wrinkle coated White VC would look awesome.

I agree only problem I see with it is keeping it looking white. There is a powder/ceramic coating company right down the street from my shop. I can stop in tomorrow/friday and see if they do white and get a price for you. They did one in black for me and it turned out pristine.

Rausch

Sheesh Myles, You should just allow an extra couple hour in April, and I'll ru you down to Summit for any of that sort of thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
Quote:
I've been planning to paint my valve cover and intake with red engine enamal, but then I saw a valve cover that had been powder coated with a textured/wrinkle finish and I'd really like to do that with a paint. So far all I can find is black wrinkle finish paint. Anybody know where I can find it in different colors in a spray can? Needs to withstand engine heat. Thanks.

Never tried the do it yourself paint, if you want to have it powder coated lmk & I can turn you on to the guy who did mine:

dsc00310ya2.jpg

1badgvr4

Quote:
Just was searching and found this. Has anyone seen White Wrinkle Spray? Or know anyone that I could send a VC to?

Thanks

Send it to vman911 miles.

CutlassJim

Quote:
Damn G... nice belt/gears!!!

Adjustable cam gears set at zero FTMFW! I also love the 4g6-300 timing belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And your FPR is in the wrong spot and you might want to get some clamps on that intercooler pipe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: And get an a radiator cap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry been drinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts