The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hot Bits Camber Plates

skivittlerjimb

After trying in vain to source Tein camber plates for some time now (I guess not trying very hard), I saw that Hot Bits listed a separate part # for their camber plates. I can't remember where I saw the P/N, but it was in some PDF application guide on an .au site. In any case, Larry Parker gave me the tip contact Peter at HotBits.ca which I did. $231 later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif and I had these pretty things to admire.

Well, I finally got around to tackling the install tonight, and after spending :30 looking for my lug nut key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, at least I got one side done. Install was pretty clean, with thankfully no seized bolts nor rusty bits snapping here and there. I even took the time to paint my upper spring perches with POR-15 Chassis Coat Black and spray some Boeing T9 on the coilover sleeves to prep. for the coming winter corrosion.

Here are some comparison shots of the old upper strut mount and Hot Bits plates:

Thickness is about the same, but looks can be deceiving...

Astute GVR4 owners may already notice that the mount on the right is not the original GVR4 mount, but some generation of Evo mount, or so I was told my the previous owner, a mechanic at VT Sportscar; one less mounting bolt, but supposedly higher durometer rating of rubber.

The metal bushing you see in the first picture goes inbetween the upper spring seat and the bottom of the strut bearing itself, allowing the strut bearing to articulate side to side and such. It also raises ride height, though. My rough measurement is 1/2" (the exact width of the bushing), which in my book is quite a bit.

I set up the camber adjustment bolts for full negative, and there is no interferences of the upper spring perch or the springs themselves with the shock tower or anything else. Given that the plates have five pairs of holes the adjustment bolts can thread into, I suppose I could go even a bit further negative, but this'll do until I get an alignment done.

The good part is they fit, and the quality of the components, metals used, etc. seems to be high. There are no index marks but it won't bee too hard to create them. I'm wishing a thinner bushing/sleeve had been supplied so the ride height change wasn't so dramatic, but since I've got coilovers, I should be able to correct for that.

I'm using these with Galant-specific Ground Control coilovers and KYB AGXs. These plates would work fine for stock front struts, too, with the caveat that your front ride height will likely be higher, and that you'd likely be limited by the wider overall diameter of the stock front springs in how far negative you can push the camber.

Once I get the other side on and get it aligned, I'll post on the difference they make in driving feel, and hopefully in lap times! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bazeng

looks great!

do you have a part number?
i've spoken to the AUSSIE distributer and they said they supply NOLTEC camber tops as they dont make their own...

thanks buddy

atc250r

Staff member
Bimmubishi can get the Tein ones for you. Dent Sport Garage is a Tein distributor.

John

Quote:
i've spoken to the AUSSIE distributer and they said they supply NOLTEC camber tops as they dont make their own...

this AUSSIE distributer doesn't knos sh*t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(yes, we are talking about the same one Baz) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

bazeng

Quote:
looks great!

do you have a part number?
i've spoken to the AUSSIE distributor and they said they supply NOLTEC camber tops as they dont make their own...

thanks buddy

skivittlerjimb

Straight from Peter Reilly at HotBits.ca: "The Galant and 1G sell under HB.90-227 TM but you must specify Galant or Talon/Eclipse to get the correct bolt direction on the fronts."

So there you go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got both sides in now and an alignment appointment for Thursday. One side is sitting a bit higher than the other by about 1/2" but that's not due to the plates. Looks like I'll have to tear down the side that's sitting higher to get a couple of mystery washers out of there and get the front back to level.

-Jim B.
1432/2000

skivittlerjimb

Well, if anyone needed any further convincing that camber plates work wonders for our cars, my lap times should do the trick. On the dry day this last weekend, I beat my previous best lap time by roughly half a second on a 3/4 mile track not once, but on over half of my 12 timed laps on that day.

The alignment I ended up with was zero toe and 2 degrees of neg. camber in the front. The mechanic told me he couldn't get more than that but there is plenty of adjustment range left in the tops and I know there's no intereference with the struts or springs hitting anything, so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway, just another positive improvement on my old sled. Steering feel is tighter but not harsh, cars runs dead center straight with no pull on smooth pavement, and the ride more than livable on all but the very crappiest VT roads. Hot Bits plates get the thumbs up from this kid.

-Jim B.
1432/2000

Quote:
did u end up fixing your problem jase?

yeah, I sold my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts