The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust Manifolds-Differences

powerplay

I took a few pictures today of a EVO2, EVO3, and a 2G exhaust manifold. There isn't much visable difference between the three of them. The EVO3 flange does look like it has more surface area to mate with the head. I don't know about the differences in alloys used between the three.

464/2K

nice someone move this to the how to or something so people dont ask "what is the difference between the evo 3 and 2g manifold"

curtis

Get some tape and some veggy oil and cc them. As long as none have been ported on you could be the know all manifold guy. If you don't have a graduated cylinder just use kitchen tools or go bum a cylinder from a school's science dept.

powerplay

Curtis, that is a good idea, unfortunately all three have the step removed in the collector. I am going to install the E3 once it gets back from OK, HPC coating, along with the turbine and O2 housings. I am going to sell the other 2.

powerplay

Thanks Jason. I just finshed rebuilding the TC. All new bearings and seals. I had to reshim the bearings, as the new bearings were quite a bit bigger than the old ones.

JB

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Rebuilding TC's and 4 bolts. I gotta come watch you work sometime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

powerplay

Joe, I am just learning how everything works, so when it breaks I can fix it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JB

i know where to go now when i break something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

powerplay

I am just up the road! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luke

Quote:
Thanks Jason. I just finshed rebuilding the TC. All new bearings and seals. I had to reshim the bearings, as the new bearings were quite a bit bigger than the old ones.

Is there a posted instruction on how to rebuild the transfer case ?

powerplay

I used the FSM and followed the write up. It is detailed and provides all of the specs. for clearances. It is easier than the 4 bolt rear, but very similar in what you have to do. Parts are about $150 (4 bearings, o-rings, seals and main shaft nut) from JNZ. The only problem you might run into is the spacers for the bearings. Unlike the 4 bolt, Mitsu doesn't offer a package of different size spacers. You have to buy them individually, based on what you need. When I did mine, everything checked out within spec. before teardown. I assumed I could use the existing set of spacers. Wrong, the new bearings were thicker, so the spacers needed to be thinner. I had to take about .004 to .006 off the the spacers to get the bearing preload right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned