The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo8 stock suspension on our Galant VR4 questions

Hi all, i have been doing some search , but i couldn't find exactly what i want to know. here are my questions:

1)will the Evo8 suspension (shocks and springs) lower our car?

2)How harsh is the ride with Evo 8 suspension

3)How does the Evo8 suspension compared to other suspension choices? (handling + comfort)

Thanks in advance !!

Do some more search & check the 'how to' section. Everything you are asking have been answered there.

Has anyone tried doing this with the Evo MR suspension? I installed it in my Evo and its even better then the stock suspension on my car. The ride is softer, but you also have better contact with the road which means better handling.

blacksheep

Hey H8rade - Nice to see a fellow Evo owner here. Are you on evom? My MR suspension is still stock...for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luke

Quote:
Hi all, i have been doing some search , but i couldn't find exactly what i want to know. here are my questions:

1)will the Evo8 suspension (shocks and springs) lower our car?

2)How harsh is the ride with Evo 8 suspension

3)How does the Evo8 suspension compared to other suspension choices? (handling + comfort)

Thanks in advance !!

1) No, it won't lower your car.

2) The ride is decent, e.g. it is better ride than AGX+whiteline or my old JIC-FLT-A2.
But if you have the cash, switch to hotbits. Hotbits both handles better and ride more comfortably than the evo suspension.

3) Here you go. I have tried most of the offerings for our car.
Higher number is better.
I do drive the car at track days, but not as often as I would like.
It is more of a spirited daily driver for me.

Code:

Code:
                   handling    comfort  Note
stock                  1          4     soft stock car comfort, nothing to write about handling.
AGX+WL springs         2          1     A bit better handling than stock, but bounce bounce bounce.
JIC FLT-A2             5          2     Handles like it's on rail (8f/6r), not bouncey, but it's harsh/bumpy.         
EVO shock+spring       3          3     Handles pretty good, more comfortable than JIC, probably due to softer spring rate.
Hotbits                5          5     Handles awesome (8f/5r). Shocks is valved perfectly, giving it a firm controlled ride.

IMO, handling at long sweeping corners ( on/off ramps ) is affected mostly by the spring rates. Higher spring rates give you less body lean.
How well the car absort bumps mid cornering is affected by how well the shocks is valved.
Ride comfort is affected mostly by the shocks.

( Hey guys, I'm trying to post the table of comparison above in fixed font mode so that the column alignment is preserved.. can someone tell me how to do that ? )

Last edited by a moderator:

Luke: What rates were those Whitelne springs and what setting did you use on the AGX shocks?

curtis

Quote:
Hey H8rade - Nice to see a fellow Evo owner here. Are you on evom? My MR suspension is still stock...for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I doubt if he's got time for evom, he's on FT HOOD, he's either in the field or at one of the lakes around there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey man I use to be stationed down there back in the early 90's.

Luke

Quote:
Luke: What rates were those Whitelne springs and what setting did you use on the AGX shocks?

Unfortunately, I do not know.. I got it used a long time ago from someone in this forum.
I think it is the lower and stiffer version of the two spring sets that whiteline carries for our car.

The problem with the AGX shock setting ( when mated to my mystery whiteline springs ) is as follow.
If I set it to the soft setting, then the shocks rebound force is not enough to control the springs.
If I set it to the hard setting, then the shocks bump force is too stiff, causing a jarring ride.
Anyway, I found it very difficult to adjust the shock in such a way so that the oscillation is controlled yet not sacrificing ride comfort too much.

Hope that helps.

I've driven most of these 5 setups as well, with the exception
of Hotbits, and I can back up that Luke's ratings are correct.
I've also driven DMS 40mm, which I'd rate 5/5, but not worth the price.

One thing I'd like to add in favor of the Evo setup, is that it's
lack of handling is most apparent on the track, IMHO it handles
just about as well as the coilovers on the street.

Also, the Evo suspension is factory OEM durability, which means
it will likely last 2-4x longer than the average aftermarket coilover setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts