The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Polished Al parts-keeping the shine

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have polished a few aluminum items for my car, engine bay usage in particular. Anyone have recommendations to keep them shiny? Clear coat paint? I don't want to have to get my hands in there to work on them later.

Thanks.

14u2nV

Clear coat works great, just make sure you clean it very well before painting, and if it's in a hot spot, make sure the clear can take it. Burnt clear won't shine very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

number3

Eastwood Diamond Clear Metal Aerosol

JNR

regular car Wax will keep the shine, if you don't want to clearcoat...

The secret to polishing is smoothness of the material, then applying a compound either by hand or with rouge/machine...they make different rouges and buffing wheels based on the stage you're at and material you're using...

The nice thing about stainless vs. aluminum (for polishing) is it keeps the shine, although it likes to be done so by abrasives...

steve

Listen to the King of Bling and his heir to the throne. I've seen both their cars and they know WTF they're talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

number3

That is what I use, Geoff, but you need to apply it regularly.

atc250r

Staff member
I've actually gotten better results with "Blue Magic" than I got with Mother's. I've also seen some amazing results from a product called "White Diamond". A buddy of mine helps a guy who does custom cycles and polishing for a living and the guy swears by White Diamond. I need to do the wheels on my truck since apparently American Racing doesn't put ANY sealer on their polished AL wheels, mine looked like crap after the first snow/salt they saw.

John

I just finished a full polish job on my Zook. I used Mothers and it came out great!
But I'll try the Blue Magic to see how it fairs against Mothers...

atc250r

Staff member
I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. It comes in a tube like toothpaste does.

John

Quote:
I have polished a few aluminum items for my car, engine bay usage in particular. Anyone have recommendations to keep them shiny? Clear coat paint? I don't want to have to get my hands in there to work on them later.

Thanks.

Mind if we see some of these 'polished aluminum items'?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sure, come on over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Actually, they are not fully polished yet. I'm only talking about the fuel rail and the bov at this point. I do have a nice billet FPR though. When I get the work all done and begin assembling the engine package together, I plan on taking some pics. So you will have to wait until then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
I'm failing miserably at getting the bling.

I think everything is getting painted black now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts