The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Optima or Odyssey or ?

JNR

I will be in the market for a battery real soon, but it needs to be the type (dry cell?) that doesn't emit fumes, etc. as it's in the trunk and like the extra power and draining characteristics and so on...

I've had great luck with my Optima Red and used it in many vehicles for the past 6 years or so...I was thinking about just getting another, but they are $$...I've heard about the Odyssey batteries, but don't know much about them...or, maybe there are more alternatives?

blacksheep

Well, I would suggest a small battery under the hood like the odyssey. Also, there are several evo 8+ specific mini battery kits that may work on the gvr4. Check the buschur site. If you are interested, I can name some others off, too lazy to type!

JNR

I don't mind going with a 'larger' one (factory sized), as it's in the trunk...I'd like as much cranking amps and 'life' as possible...even with the 2/0 wire, I still want as much power to the starter and for charging, etc...

I'm sure they are pretty similar in performance, but wanted to see if one was a little more affordable than the other...also, I'd like to find one that sells 'locally' (I know Optimas are labeled under various names) for returns if something happens...Price Club (costco) used to carry Optimas, but don't think so anymore...maybe Sam's?

gvr4737

my friend that is parting his 1g has an oddesey batter for sale if ud like to buy it... its like 4 months old and holds perfect

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I run a regular size 24 Diehard in the trunk. I have done that with more than one car. Never a problem.

speedyvr4

Optimas are made by interstate,I'd buy those if i was looking for a high perfomance battery.Their good if you have a sound system,their guaranteed(progressive) for 5 years.

Street Surgeon

I can get a new (non-blem) Optima red-top for 75 smackers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

Hey John, here I am thinking that you're looking for a minivan or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

Already got suckered into one of those (vans), lol...Actually, we have an MPV and it's been a pretty good vehicle so far and I only *have* to drive it when needed, ha ha (it's not that bad; I am getting old afterall and have too many rugrats)

As for the battery...hmmm, I think it boils down to price...I'd like to find out how much the guy is selling his Odyssey for and if not that, the $75 sounds very tempting although wonder how much shipping is (to make it worthwhile vs. store)?

I have been very pleased with my Optima, but it's time to replace it...seems about 5-6 years is its lifespan, but then again I haven't had it constantly charged, so maybe 10 under the right conditions...

Thanks guys!

Romanova

I've had both with great results. I had an Odessey 925 and it always started the car... even in freezing cold temps. Very happy with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

gvr4ever

Quote:
Optimas are made by interstate,I'd buy those if i was looking for a high perfomance battery.Their good if you have a sound system,their guaranteed(progressive) for 5 years.

That's only for the red top. The yellow gets a 2 year warranty and you want that to run a stereo or anything. I got one cause I'm running my deck and fuel pump off the battery. It started this winter no matter how cold it was. It's the best cranking battery I've ever had, but before the optima, the best thing I ever had was a die hard, so I don't have too much to compare to. I'll prolly get a red top for any replacement battery in my other cars from now on.

slugsgomoo

unless you are running enough stereo to have the need for MULTIPLE 1 Farad caps, or you are running your stereo for hours at a time, You don't need, or want a yellow top. It's deep cycle, and unless you draw it down, it will not last for a long time.

Both the talon and the galant run red tops. In the talon, I run a 600.1 Xtant, and a 150w Alpine 4 channel, and in the galant I have a JBL 300.1 and an alpine V12 4channel. Either one I can sit and listen to the stereo with the car off for a good long time, and it still starts right up. I have sat in ferry holding lines for 40 minutes, gotten on the ferry, sat for another 35 minutes, and then started it right up. Hell, i've done dumb things and left my parking lights on for a couple hours once or twice with no ill effects.

The only time the battery in the talon has failed me, is when I forgot to put the tender on it, and I didn't drive the car for seven months. threw my charger on it for a few hours on low amperage, and it's been fine ever since.

boostx

i have 2 Optima red top and the only thing i dont like about them is that it does one give any warnning when they are going dead ( park the GN one night came back 2 days later and it was dead).
Got it exchange a autozone with no problem

Street Surgeon

The red top has more cca's than the yellow top, but the yellow is better if you're runnnig a "system" or something along those lines. Though in reality you wouldn't notice a difference unless you're sporting over a few grand in stereo equipment.

Last edited:

rheckert

I picked up ared top last year at Auto Zone for the brick and it has performed flawlessly. I can't say that for all of the die hards I have had. The other battery I have had good luck with is the Interstate Batteries.

JNR

Doesn't Interstate put their label on an Optima? Nothing wrong with that; in fact there may be some advantages...I believe that is what I have and my reasoning at the time was in case I was out in the boons and needed a replacement (always oicture myself stranded for some reason), it would be easier to deal with an Interstate dealer as they're all over the place...this was in 2000 also, before the Optima was as well known as today, so who knows now...

I charged mine up a little more today; we'll see how it works tomorrow...I am planning a 1000 mile trip next week, so am a little nervous with this battery...I was thinking of putting the WalMart special battery that's in the Jeep (it's actually not a bad battery and most all of those types are made by a handful of mfrs.), but not sure how the fumes would be in the trunk for the voyage?

I've done things like that in the past with the Chevelle and it was fine, but there are alot of things I did then that wouldn't now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

belize1334

I have two of the Odyssey 625s (the narrow ones) stuffed down in my passanger side fender well in the trunk. The fit isn't actually as clean as I'd hoped but it's all covered up by the trunk liner and I can't complain about the 1250 cca. I've never had a problem with these batteries. I killed them several times with a power drain in my stereo before I fixed it and they don't appear to have been damaged in any way. Thumbs up for Odyssey.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts