The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The Galant is on its way to collectibility!

quasimondo

So says Hemming's Sports & Exotic Car magazine. I just picked up a copy which had a beautiful orange Datsun 240Z on the cover, as well as coverage of the California Japanese Classic Car show that was held in Long Beach this summer.

They also had a list of 25 Japanese cars that the magazine staff listed as future collectibles. On the list was a few selections from Mitsubishi, including the Galant VR-4, 3000GT VR-4 Spyder, and the Starion. They did have some questionable picks, like the 1989-94 Nissan Maxima and the 1989-92 240SX and curiously left the MK4 Supra and Z32 300ZX off of the list.

They did, however misquote the production numbers, focusing only on the 1,000 that were produced in 92, and thought that we all purchased these cars to do our best Carlos Sainz impersonation (which is weird because Sainz never drove for Mitsubishi)

spooling92vr4

awesome i have one of each.. too bad a modded gvr4 in 20 years isnt gonna be worth anything... good news, we can put collectable insurance on the cars for like 50 bucks a year

atc250r

Staff member
Please GOD let me put cheap insurance on this stupid car!

John

Not necessarily true. If the cars are modded well they will still retain some value. There's a few cars on here that have had some extreme detail put into their mods. (Harry, Cheeky (pending), Sam, etc.) I'm sure they'll retain some value.

-Josh

spooling92vr4

yes but if its a true collecters car, stock is where its worth the most.. know what i mean

atc250r

Staff member
Who cares? Give me cheap insurance NOW!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

John

I'm glad I have full coverage on my car. I can't wait to see what the market is going to be like when we can get collectible plates & the recognition we deserve from the collectible insurance companies.

Quote:
yes but if its a true collecters car, stock is where its worth the most.. know what i mean

you'd be rich if you can find one of the 6 or so stock ones left in a few years!!

jogalant

Regardless if they're modded or not. Unless our cars are full of bullet holes and unless we start importing them from abroad just to feed the collectors, there are so few in this country we'll all fetch a pretty penny, stock examples more of course.

G

Staff member
Quote:

exactly, especially if you have the original block in it still.

fastasleep

What fun is a stock Galant VR-4 in 20 years?

Last edited:

turbowop

What fun is a stock '57 Chevy now? My stepdad is just finishing the frame off restoration of his '56 2door BelAir post. He's gonna sell it when it's finished because he's bored with it. He's also finishing the frame off restoration of his '56 Chevy pick up, which is hot-rodded with all sorts of crazy sh*t. He's keeping that one, because it'll be fun.

The only thing you can do with fully original restored cars is take them to shows where they're judged on authenticity, numbers, cleanliness, etc. That or stick it in a museum. Sure they're worth more, but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I'm gonna keep modding and driving my car. It's too much fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

number3

Quote:
I'm glad I have full coverage on my car. I can't wait to see what the market is going to be like when we can get collectible plates & the recognition we deserve from the collectible insurance companies.

I have been trying for years to get collectible car insurance. I hope this changes things.

JNR

^^have you tried an 'agreed upon value' insurance? I was told by my agent (Mercury, my insurance co.) I could get this, but I have yet to get up there to get it rolling...Gonna do the same thing with the Chevelle if I ever get that darn thing back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The problem with collector car insurance is you're real limited (in alot of cases) to mileage, where you park and so on...

I need to get mine covered here soon! I already had somebody try to steal the Jeep (almost got it, but it was louder than they thought or something), but least it's covered...

Last edited by a moderator:

number3

I meet the mileage and garage rule the collector guy require. They just don't feel a Galant VR4 is a collectors car. They feel the same way about my Monster Miata as well.

It is Asian import car discrimination.

toyota alltracs qualify for collectible insurance, so we should too. your company must be pretty gay

fastasleep

Quote:
I'm gonna keep modding and driving my car. It's too much fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

werd. My point exactly.

JNR

Quote:
I meet the mileage and garage rule the collector guy require. They just don't feel a Galant VR4 is a collectors car. They feel the same way about my Monster Miata as well.

It is Asian import car discrimination.

That's interesting and a shame at the same time...What they should be focused on is the fact of the machine and its (replacement) value vs. what type of driver and 'risk' is posed...'course, nothing is that simple or logical these days...Do they consider a Grand National or say a 20th anniversay T/A a 'collector's car'?

I haven't looked into this deeply, but plan to get some form of full coverage/fair value in the near future...the problem is, I have all these little things on the car that I want to square away first, 'cause I plan to justify it one way or the other to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts