GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » I'll ask about suspension again (just to tick you off)
Previous thread Next thread

I'll ask about suspension again (just to tick you off)

Paul Mc369
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277154 posted 11/17/05 05:13 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
It looks like I need to replace my struts. I'm eying the Hot Bits group buy because they would be super sweet. But they may be too pricey for me.

First, if I get the Hot Bits without the mounts, what do I loose?

Second, should I just replace my struts and if so with what?

Third, what are my other options that are easy to get?

| | | IP: (128.61.49.186) | Report this post to a Moderator

blacksheep
Baraqsheep
205/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277160 posted 11/17/05 05:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'm with stupid! I wanna get hotbits too! I have the agx/gc combo right now...

1992 Galant VR-4. 205/1000. Nile Black. Sunroof.

Posts: 15470 | From: Urbandale, Iowa 50323 | Member Since: 05/01/02 | IP: (12.216.65.96) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277168 posted 11/17/05 05:52 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I think that koni, hotbits and tein are the way to go. (and on the fourth wheel use nothing)

Posts: 5701 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (24.63.8.121) | Report this post to a Moderator

blacksheep
Baraqsheep
205/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277172 posted 11/17/05 05:55 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
On the 4th wheel, I'll pimp my upper mounts

No seriously, folks! Someone please help us out!

1992 Galant VR-4. 205/1000. Nile Black. Sunroof.

Posts: 15470 | From: Urbandale, Iowa 50323 | Member Since: 05/01/02 | IP: (12.216.65.96) | Report this post to a Moderator

bob in chicago
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277174 posted 11/17/05 06:00 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I think the shock choice is the most important factor. See previous posts by our resident shock therapist, Larry Parker. He does custom valving and rebuilds them and has credible opinions.

Next, I think coil over springs are better for year-around flexibilty as well as more aggressive hadling if you want in the future. AFCO coils are only $60 each at Summit

| | | IP: (216.80.16.189) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277175 posted 11/17/05 06:01 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
What's the budget?

Posts: 5701 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (24.63.8.121) | Report this post to a Moderator

Paul Mc369
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277177 posted 11/17/05 06:06 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I thought these were NLA
ppt tein ha

These are about the same price as the hot bits but come with mounts. Is it an old data base or the wrong part?

Paul Mc369
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277178 posted 11/17/05 06:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
My budget depends on what I am buying. To start, out of the good parts, I go for what is cheapest. If it isn't that much more for something better, I'll get the better one.

That being said, like everyone else, I love having the best.

edit...

That was just a complicated way of saying I'm not sure.

Edited by Paul Mc369 (11/17/05 06:18 PM)

G Galant VR4.org Moderator
JDM Unit
486/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277182 posted 11/17/05 06:20 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

I thought these were NLA
ppt tein ha

These are about the same price as the hot bits but come with mounts. Is it an old data base or the wrong part?

you may get lucky & find someone who still has a set in stock, but not likely. but they are nla, not even special order from tein jp.
you have to order the 1g dsm awd ss set & then order the e39a upper pillow/camber plates & swap them or you won't have camber adjustment.

www.japanesenostalgiccar.com
www.nostalgic.co.jp

Posts: 8884 | From: zompton | Member Since: 02/24/04 | IP: (24.145.203.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

Paul Mc369
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277664 posted 11/18/05 08:30 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Seriously, I don't really know how much to spend on a good suspension or even what a god suspension is. I think KC said it best when he called me stupid. I would absolutely love all the adjust-ability of the hot bits. But I'm not sure my car is worth an $1800 suspension. I could cut that cost down a bit if I went without mounts, but I'm not even sure what that means. Is it just the adjust-ability for an alignment that I would lose or is there more?

If those tein HAs I linked to are in stock, I could get them with mounts for $1350 +shipping. But I have not seen any comparisons between teins and hotbits. Also I don't know how to compare tein SS to hot bits either.

What I don't want to do is spend money and wish I got either something cheaper or something better. I just want to know I got something that was good and worth it.

| | | IP: (24.159.96.39) | Report this post to a Moderator

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277666 posted 11/18/05 08:38 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I may be a neanderthal when it comes to this stuff but I am delighted with the results of my AGX/Evo spring combo. They were great before but now with all urethane bushings (front and rear) and a 1" rear swaybar (Suspension Techniques $150) the car is like a whole different animal than stock. If you want to corner on a budget then this is really a great option.

John

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (68.193.222.254) | Report this post to a Moderator

cheekychimp Galant VR4.org Moderator
Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277694 posted 11/19/05 12:41 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Paul,
The thing about adjustable supension is it is of limited value if you don't use it, i.e. adjust it. Guys who compete and know how to setup their suspension would probably NEVER buy anything that did not give them adjustability everywhere and they will exploit the advantage of that by twiddling with their settings dependent upon different courses, road surfaces and possibly even the weather.

I won't say adjustability is of no use to you if you don't know how to use it. You could learn or you could take your car to be setup by someone who knows what they are doing. But even then, for a street car you will be setting things up for a bit of a compromise. It will probably not be hard enough for billiard table flat top because you need some comfort on that potholed lane that runs behind your house. It won't be lowered enough for the best centre of gravity because you need to clear those speed humps outside the office.

It will allow you to mess around until you get to a point that suits your preferences. The real question is whether something like John has suggested is going to be so far off the mark for you that you need to be able to adjust things to your preference. You cannot under any circumstances disregard the difference a good suspension setup makes to a car's handling, BUT if you buy an adjustable setup and then either don't adjust it or fail to adjust it properly for the road conditions you are using; you are quite literally throwing money down the drain.

Paul.

Edit: FWIW I bought the Hotbits rally setup before they came with the 40 step adjustment. I bought *standard poly bushings without camber adjustment and no pillow mounts. Like I said, I would never underestimate the value of well tuned suspension but I know I won't use it. I found the stock settings on this car to be awesome on the street and I'm in no rush to change them.

Getting old sucks ... but it sure beats the alternative !!!

Edited by cheekychimp (11/19/05 11:20 PM)

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (218.189.72.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 277838 posted 11/19/05 08:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Turbowop and I (number3) are thrilled with our Tein HAs. We bought them before the Hotbits time.

Larry loves the Hotbits and has the knowledge to back it up. HA are not available anymore and the Hotbits are.

Seems like the Hotbits are now the ticket in adjustable coilovers.

I think it is an obvious choice if you want coilovers.

Harry
Three-speed.com
---------------------------
Pictures here

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.13.254) | Report this post to a Moderator

steelythefez
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 278681 posted 11/22/05 12:17 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
anyone try these out yet?
http://www.elementmotorsport.com/cars/Mitsubishi/Eclipse%2090%2D94/coilovers/

| | | IP: (199.245.32.11) | Report this post to a Moderator

SteveHebert
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 278702 posted 11/22/05 02:01 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Paul,
The thing about adjustable supension is it is of limited value if you don't use it, i.e. adjust it. Guys who compete and know how to setup their suspension would probably NEVER buy anything that did not give them adjustability everywhere and they will exploit the advantage of that by twiddling with their settings dependent upon different courses, road surfaces and possibly even the weather.

I won't say adjustability is of no use to you if you don't know how to use it. You could learn or you could take your car to be setup by someone who knows what they are doing. But even then, for a street car you will be setting things up for a bit of a compromise. It will probably not be hard enough for billiard table flat top because you need some comfort on that potholed lane that runs behind your house. It won't be lowered enough for the best centre of gravity because you need to clear those speed humps outside the office.

It will allow you to mess around until you get to a point that suits your preferences. The real question is whether something like John has suggested is going to be so far off the mark for you that you need to be able to adjust things to your preference. You cannot under any circumstances disregard the difference a good suspension setup makes to a car's handling, BUT if you buy an adjustable setup and then either don't adjust it or fail to adjust it properly for the road conditions you are using; you are quite literally throwing money down the drain.

This was kinda my thinking when I decided not to get the adj pillow mounts with my Hotbits. I've driven the car 12 years without adj pillow mounts, have only a vague idea as to what they do and I know I wouldn't really be using them. (Money was NOT the issue - I just don't like spending money for something I will not use)

| | | IP: (64.136.26.228) | Report this post to a Moderator

cheekychimp Galant VR4.org Moderator
Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 279082 posted 11/24/05 08:38 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

This was kinda my thinking when I decided not to get the adj pillow mounts with my Hotbits. I've driven the car 12 years without adj pillow mounts, have only a vague idea as to what they do and I know I wouldn't really be using them. (Money was NOT the issue - I just don't like spending money for something I will not use)

Steve,
I applaud your honesty and frankly I feel exactly the same. I know factory suspension and settings aren't maximised for performance, but they have been good enough for me so far and give good even tyre wear. I see no reason to mess with that, and if I'm not, then where the hell is the point in spending money on 'adjustables' that I'll leave in the stock default position?

It's like buying a 5.1 surround sound system and only listening to stereo !!!

Paul.

Getting old sucks ... but it sure beats the alternative !!!

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.79.134.82) | Report this post to a Moderator

Ted Andkilde
Canuckistani Ambassador

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 279096 posted 11/24/05 09:21 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
There are a couple of additional benefits to pillow mounts over the factory rubbers that don't get mentioned very often.

The rubber flexes as the suspension is compressed, this flex is "undamped", or outside of the control of the shocks -- not necessarily a tragedy but it can result in funny suspension oscillations that can't be tuned out.

Pillow balls are "free", that is they allow the strut to pivot freely and eliminate sideloading. Sideloading can cause "stiction" (suspension can't move up and down smoothly) or damage the shock or strut insert which is designed, primarily, to handle up/down loads.

The adjustability is an added bonus, being able to adjust camber at both the top and bottom of the strut can gain you a little bit more tire clearance.

Cheers, Ted

Pure mathematics is the enemy of every truly creative man -- Sir Alec Issigonis

Posts: 1181 | From: Windsor, Canada | Member Since: 08/21/03 | IP: (24.57.40.228) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1648

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.26 seconds in which 0.204 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page