The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NGK Wideband

atc250r

Staff member
I was looking up the part number for an igntion wire set when I came across this on NGK's web-site.

WIDEBAND

It's around $300 direct from NGK which sounds like a good deal. Now for the bad news, a replacement sensor is $170 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif so I don't know if it's still such a deal.

John

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
+1 for a trusted brand.
Don't we have an NGK dealer on this board?
Think the 5v analog output can be used as a stock replacement? I'd love to be able to just swap out sensors without having to get a bung welded to my downpipe.

On a side note, is there a way to log wide-bands on a laptop? I still use the TMO software and would love to continue using it.

G

Staff member
looks good, i may try one. i can get ngk stuff cheap, i'll have to check pricing.

atc250r

Staff member
See what you can find. I may be interested.

John

God friggen damnit. One day, ONE DAMN DAY after I buy the AEM. Crap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

atc250r

Staff member
Eh, I'm still not sold on this NGK system since the sensor is $100 more than the AEM one is. Innovate sensor is also only $80. I'm VERY curious to see what G can get them for since it really looks like an awesome deal on the initial purchase but an extra $100 everytime you need a sensor seems a little steep. On the other hand I guess for the small amount of time that I run leaded fuel the sensor would probably last for years and years.

John

That is the NTK sensor. They are a proven part. Said to be much tougher than the Bosch. They began using NTK UEGOs on the civic lean burn D series (civic vx) over a decade ago. The innovate unit uses a sensor from BOSCH that's found on a number of Audi/VWs. The market for those sensors used to be much better. They list for a little more than 50 and cost about 39$. They have the life expectancy that a light bulb would (in your exhaust system) in some cases. I have a friend that has gone in for no less than a half dozen O2 sensor replacements for his VW. They have very sensitive heater circuits. This thread might just cover everything that the previous wide band thread did a couple days ago.

https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=275505&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

As far as the ECU stuff goes, no, the ECU doesn't recognize a 0-5v oxygen sensor input intrinsically. It could be made to do so with code changes. If you want to log your wide band, set it up on the unused EGR temp input on the ECU and log that variable. This is documented on the yahoo ECU group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ditto on Lucian's post. I run a Tech Edge WB on my Typhoon. Ver. 1.5 that used the NTK sensor. IIRC it cost me $185 for the sensor. Ver. 2.0 has since changed to the cheaper Bosch sensor. I run mine 8 inches from the turbo exhaust housing and never had overheating problems. My buddy runs the LM-1 WB on his turbo Rabbit and his Bosch sensor is over 3 ft. away from the turbo and has overheatong problems. He ended up having to buy a heatsink for it.

teet

i'm on my 3rd bosch sensor...It is mounted approx at the bend in the down pipe where it goes horizontal. I might have to move it...

john

powerplay

I have had the Bosch unit in my test pipe for over a year. it still calibrates easily.

boostx

i like the display but i think the Zeitronix WB02 w/ LCD screen is a better because you get A/F ratio, A/F Voltage, Boost, and EGT; all of which are on the one screen

Will a wide-band help me tune in closed loop, or only in open loop/WOT.?
Just wondering as I need to tune out some part throttle knock issues.
DMX

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts