The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

226/1000 Mild Restoration Build

bobbybdemented

Since this is a older car and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 9 years. I cleaned all the AC lines, condenser and evaporator. I also checked the condenser and evaporator for leaks. Replaced all the O rings. Installed a rebuilt AC compressor and new Drier and expansion valve. The expansion valves are pretty much always dirty and clogged on old cars (the expansion valve on this Galant was clogged). Vacuumed down the system and checked for leaks. I check for leaks by letting it sit over night under vacuum and see if the pressure holds.

The AC system on these Galant's are really simple and easy to work on. Even the evaporator was pretty easy to get out. I can say that this car is very well engineered, I would compare its design with the 80s model Mercedes. Over built and designed to be easily repaired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

I have driven the car about 200 miles now and I always like to go back and re torque the head studs.(the oil on the valve cover is when I spilt some when topping her off) I also installed the new the hood heat shield.

bobdole

Quoting bobbybdemented:
Since this is a older car and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 9 years. I cleaned all the AC lines, condenser and evaporator. I also checked the condenser and evaporator for leaks. Replaced all the O rings. Installed a rebuilt AC compressor and new Drier and expansion valve. The expansion valves are pretty much always dirty and clogged on old cars (the expansion valve on this Galant was clogged). Vacuumed down the system and checked for leaks. I check for leaks by letting it sit over night under vacuum and see if the pressure holds.

The AC system on these Galant's are really simple and easy to work on. Even the evaporator was pretty easy to get out. I can say that this car is very well engineered, I would compare its design with the 80s model Mercedes. Over built and designed to be easily repaired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I need to fix AC on mine. Can you share which drier and expansion valve you went with? Did you convert to r134?

Thanks

GSTwithPSI

Quoting bobdole:
I need to fix AC on mine. Can you share which drier and expansion valve you went with? Did you convert to r134?

Thanks

Same. I bought a new expansion valve for 1837, just haven't installed it yet.

If Bobby could put up the list of parts he used/ordered, I think that would be helpful.

bobbybdemented

All the parts for the AC system I got from Rock Auto. The expansion valve and drier are pretty much universal parts for those years and also the O ring kit is universal. And yes I did convert the system to R134. I also downloaded the factory manual which has a very detailed section on the HVAC System on these cars. And always change the Valve Cores.

Parts I used rebuilding AC system

Drier- FOUR SEASONS 33575
Expansion Valve- FOUR SEASONS 39491
O Ring Kit- FOUR SEASONS 26764
AC compressor- click

I did have to put the pulley from my old compressor on to the new one since they where different sizes. The pulley is held on by about 6 little bolts

Last edited:

bobdole

Where did you download the service manuals from please? Trying to get an idea on replacing the expansion valve.

bobbybdemented

Waiting for my Wife in the grocery store for about 15 minutes in 98 degree Houston heat with the AC on and the temp stays right in the middle.

thomcasey

If my temp gauge gets anywhere near the location yours is in I start checkin stuff. That is why I have an aftermarket Coolant Temp gauge

fuel

On every 6G Galant I've had the temp gauge always reads just a fraction under half at operating temp. I believe the gauge is wired that way so the needle doesn't fluctuate so much, and that it gives the illusion that it warms up quick and is stable. Ie, let's say at 190-220F it's going to read the exact same on the stock temp gauge.

bobbybdemented

My gauge always stays in the middle no matter what temperature it is outside. Also the fan dose not come on until the temp gauge starts moving past the middle. It could be that have the temp senor on the thermostat housing instead of the radiator...

Last edited:

thomcasey

Mine and my two sons are also located on the Thermostat housing. None of ours ever hit the middle until the temps start getting to high. It could be that the needle is a little off on that gauge

strokin4dr

Quoting thomcasey:
If my temp gauge gets anywhere near the location yours is in I start checkin stuff. That is why I have an aftermarket Coolant Temp gauge

Same here, Thom. I set my CEL to come of at 206 through ECMlink instead of having a separate gauge. On really hot days when sitting in traffic is starts to flicker a bit when getting close to that temp. As I get back up to speed and get some air flowing through the radiator it will turn back off. It's worked nicely for me like this for years now.

thomcasey

In also have link set, lol. I take the temp for the gauge from the upper hose. Let's me know if the fans are doing their job

bobdole

Quoting bobbybdemented:
All the parts for the AC system I got from Rock Auto. The expansion valve and drier are pretty much universal parts for those years and also the O ring kit is universal. And yes I did convert the system to R134. I also downloaded the factory manual which has a very detailed section on the HVAC System on these cars. And always change the Valve Cores.

Parts I used rebuilding AC system

Drier- FOUR SEASONS 33575
Expansion Valve- FOUR SEASONS 39491
O Ring Kit- FOUR SEASONS 26764
AC compressor- click

I did have to put the pulley from my old compressor on to the new one since they where different sizes. The pulley is held on by about 6 little bolts

Working on my AC system now. What convert kit did you use? can't find the correct one.

Charles

Riens

So I am starting to see the finish line on this project and pretty excited to drive it.
Today, I replaced the expansion valve on the evaporator and vacuumed down the AC system and checked for leaks. I also installed a aftermarket EVO 3 aluminum radiator, OEM hoses and a Spal Fan. I wanted to upgraded the cooling system because of this SE Texas Heat!
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
Nice build!

Did you have to remove dash in order to remove evaporator and replace expansion valve?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts