The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What exactly is the material on the exterior roof?

Kibby

Its like a thick material??? Anyways i haven't been on in quite awhile. Car is still jsb and outside forces have kept me from getting the car running again. I do however want to keep/slow things down from getting worse. Just wanted to know the best route to go. Thanks

Kibby

So just a really thick coat of paint? The stuff chipping off is like 1/16" thick, probably thicker.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Kibby:
Its like a thick material??? Anyways i haven't been on in quite awhile. Car is still jsb and outside forces have kept me from getting the car running again. I do however want to keep/slow things down from getting worse. Just wanted to know the best route to go. Thanks

Pics??

Sounds like plastic body filler, if it is anything other than a "skin" film coming off the paint.

kumfasa

Maybe someone repaired some hail damage, and it is body filler your seeing?

turbowop

Yeah, it’s just steel with primer, base coat, and clear. If you’re seeing anything else it would have to be shoddy repair work unfortunately.

Kibby

This is whats going on. About 6 inches to the left of this is the windshield

thomcasey

That is a cracked and broken skim coat on the roof. My son has the same on 100/2000. Looked perfect until the PO got mad and dented the roof. Big piece broke off.

kumfasa

^ Yep, hail or maybe sunroof removal. Regardless someone has filled it for some reason and now it’s no good.

Kibby

Quoting thomcasey:
That is a cracked and broken skim coat on the roof. My son has the same on 100/2000. Looked perfect until the PO got mad and dented the roof. Big piece broke off.

So best route would be remove it all, do the por fix, apply a new skim coat and paint?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You don't really need POR if that is what you are suggesting. You will likely need some serious dent removal before removing any rust and priming/painting properly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts