The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Filter - Problem WIX

Dan D

For the last 20 years of changing oil on it, I've switched back and forth between Purolator and Wix filters. Never had a problem with either. Changed the oil yesterday. New Wix filter from Amazon. Went for drive this morning and the oil pressure was going ape-$hit. Spiking my 0-150 gauge at 4800rpm and not acting linearly. Drove it home found some seepage around the filter housing. Checked the sender with a DMM - All good. Checked the gauge with some resistors - all good. Swapped in the other oil filter I ordered (also Wix). Drove again and it's good.

Never had that before but I'll probably be skipping the Wix filters from now on. Think if one doesn't have an aftermarket gauge and never knew it was doing that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

turbowop

Open up the filter and see what's up with it. I've never had an issue with Wix filters and that's all I've ever used on 1051.

Dan D

Amazon refunded it without return so I'll open it up this weekend if I get a few minutes.

turbowop

Quoting Bravolawson:
Turbowop, I could swear that I read a post of yours a long time ago (around 2006) where you said that you used the Napa Gold filters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yup, and I still do. But those Napa Golds are made by Wix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan D

Cut it open. (messy!). Nothing. I don't see anything wrong unless the filter media is bad. Part stack up was correct. Relief seems to move as expected. Tension spring seems ok. Anti-drainback was facing the right way. ??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts