The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Serpentine Belt Keeps Being Tossed

diambo4life

I am at my wits end about this. Everything looks ok but as soon as I make a 2nd gear pull, out goes the belt. The harmonic damper is not separated and both water pump and alternator pulleys are facing the right direction. Used two different belts with the same outcome. Loosening or tightening the belt has not made a difference. What else should I look for that I am overlooking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

strokin4dr

Mitsubishi alternator in stock location?

transparentdsm

^ this. I have a Jay racing relocation kit on my car and the kid I got it off had the shims backwards and the belt would walkvevery time I went about 3k rpm.

diambo4life

The pulleys are oriented correctly with the dish side facing the engine. Stock AZ alternator. Stock location. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Visually, there was no misalignment. I currently have it taken apart to fix a leaking crank seal.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

It's gotta be an alignment issue, or damaged pulley.

You should be able to get a dial indicator on the crank and alternator pulleys to check for wobble. You can usually eyeball the water pump pulley and see if it's out of round.

I suppose the water pump could also be a potential cause. Check to see if its bearing is tight.

I'd probably remove the PS and water pump pulley sandwich and make sure the stack is good to go. If one of the pulleys isn't seating correctly, or is bent, you'll have an issue. If there's corrosion of the face of the water pump mounting flange, that could cause problems with the pulley stack not seating flush.

thomcasey

Also, the rebuilt alternators sometimes have a different pulley than stock

diambo4life

The crank is wobbling. Engine is coming out. What is weird, the car is running perfectly. I figured it out after the crank seal kept springing a leak. It was very obvious then. Oh well....Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

diambo4life

You can say that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I have a spare crank. Just hoping my pistons/rods are ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Like I said, the car runs perfectly and if it was not throwing the belt, I would have never guessed this was happening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sure it is not just the crank pulley separating?

Defiant

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif daaaamn

FlyingEagle

Staff member
That was absurd. To the point of lack of noise, considering what happens when things are out by thousands, not by whole numbers ...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts