The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hesitation / CEL / smoke

ttcw

Hi I have a 99' galant vr4. My car has developed a problem after I gave the throttle body, IACV (throttle body cleaner) and MAF sensor (CRC MAFS cleaner) a clean. The car was driving fine before the clean, the reason for cleaning was the rev seems to drop very slowly after I rev the engine in neutral (no biggie but I thought I could make it run better).
After the cleaning the car seems to be idling and rev'ing fine in neutral whether engine is cold or warm. The problem only arises when I put it in gear. The car will shake, idle at about 600 rpm (much lower than usual), CEL comes on and thick smoke from tailpipe and exhaust manifold. Strong smell of unburnt gas.
Prior to cleaning out the throttle body, IACV and MAF I changed the transmission oil and transfer case oil. Took it for a drive after changing fluids and seems to drive fine so I doubt this is the cause.
Any help is appreciated.

ttcw

Would anyone be able to tell me what could be wrong? I am suspecting I might have killed the MAF sensor as this makes the most sense why it is acting up, make sense? Also would anyone be able to tell me if a MAF from a v6 non-turbo galant work on a VR4? or even from a 1.8L 4cyl?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The simple answer to using cleaners on a MAS sensor like Mitsu uses, is that you will either kill it there and then, or soon after.
You generally cannot clean MAS/MAF sensors.

When cleaning an IAC, unless you remove the bits and only handle the tip and clean it this way, you can get cleaner into the electrical mechanisms behind the internal seals, IE spraying while the engine is running or with it off and the cleaner going into the IAC bore/seat areas. Simple as that.

Replace the MAF with an identical MAF, and see what happens, after the engine is allowed to relearn it's idle. Go from there.

fuel

Kia ora bro. Welcome to the Galant VR-4 forums.

First thing's first - this forum caters primarily to the '87 to '92 shape 6th generation Galant VR-4 only, and more specifically the USDM market.

Secondly - you have a Mitsubishi with a karmann vortex MAF which generally doesn't need cleaning unlike the hot-wire MAF's that you'll find in the likes of Nissans etc. It does sound like you damaged it by cleaning it. It might come right with time, but I would say the damage has been done permanently.

Lastly - on the MAF is a three digit number above the Mitsubishi part number, like 707, 309, 609 etc. You need another MAF to match that number. No, a N/A V6 or 1.8 GDI MAF definitely wont work. From a quick google search your MAF number is a 005 which doesn't appear to be shared with anything else. You will need another MAF with the same number.

ttcw

Thank you for response.
I have bought and replaced the MAF with same three digit number 005 (second hand), unfortunately my car is still doing it. There is a chance this is a bad MAF, but most likely not.
Cold start seems and sounds very normal. But as soon as I put it in gear the car starts playing up, or turning it off and back on again and it is a little bit harder to start and then cars shaking, smoke from tailpipe that smells gasoline, CEL.
I pulled out the IACV from the car, spray it down with throttle body cleaner, and wipe the gunk off it and let it dry for 30mins before reinstallation. Dont think I did something that I shouldnt do?
To reset the ECU I am assuming we disconnect the battery terminals and reconnect it after 10-15mins, yes?
I did not know the car has a different type MAF, lessen learnt. I was intending to clean the throttle body and IACV and while the MAF is out I thought why not clean that as well.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Be sure to look at spark plug replacement after all this is sorted.

Have the CEL checked. Buy a scanner that can scan the CEL, then compare the code to a reference chart from the service manual/google search for the codes from your car. You can always confirm this with a call to a Mitsu dealer to back it up, " I have "x" model car with this ViN, can you tell me the definition of the code "y"".

Or post the code(s) here and see if you get any feedback. The ECU might be telling you there is an electrical problem.

Last edited:

fuel

EC5A/W Galant/Legnum will be OBD-II compliant, so you can buy a generic ELM327 scan tool and read the codes with an Android phone, or buy the WiFi enabled ELM327 and use an iPhone. The free Android apps can clear the codes while the free iPhone apps will only read the code.

ttcw

Hi there, I have one of those ELM327 but for some reason it does not want to connect to my android phone. It worked on my beemer. Anyways I took it to my local supercheap store and have them scan it for a little fee. It came up as code 41 - injection fault and nothing else. Hmm... Dont think I've touched that when I was servicing my car. Is it possible that the injectors went from working well to utter crap in very short period of time? Or my cleaning caused it to reveal itself? Or have I bumped anything? Code 41, is it possible to be triggered by other parts that is failing, ie o2 sensor? Or can we safely narrowed down to the fault being in the fuel injectors?

ttcw

Alright took my car in to a local mechanic and after $200 nothing was fixed. What was found though, is that the No.4 spark plug tip is pinched and wasn't sparking. I also had my car scanned and it came down with Code 41, and 44, ie injectors. There is a misfire in cylinder No.4. What I am not too happy about is that the scanners are picking injector faults, and the supercheapauto picked up injector faults, and yet the mechanic still thinks it is no likely the injectors. So I am going to try to test it or might buy a replacement injector and put it in. Would anyone be able to tell me what injector do I need? Or what other cars share the same injectors? How many cc are these factory injectors? Cant seem to find an answer anywhere.

fuel

Again, this forum caters to the USDM 6th gen Galant VR-4. The EC5A/W Galant/Legnum VR-4 is not even remotely available in the US so 99% of people on here are unable to help.

Try ClubVR-4 - click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts