Wrenching continues! Recap of the updates from the last few weeks.
After I swapped to the FP3052, I ended up having to ditch the passenger side cooling fan due to the lack of clearance on the back side of the radiator. I was hoping a single fan would keep up, but it wasn't quite cutting it after extended idle time. So, I relocated the fan to the front side of the A/C condenser in a pusher configuration. It was a bastard squeezing the fan into that tiny space, but it ended up fitting pretty well.
With the fan relocated to in front side of the condenser, I had to move my oil cooler, which was previously in that space. Since I had to move it anyways, I figured it was a good time to upgrade. So, I picked up a B&M oil cooler setup to replace the factory 1990 oil cooler I was running previously. I situated it where the deleted ABS unit was, which locates the core nicely to get adequate airflow.
With the FP30 turbine housing being located so close to the radiator on the Galant, I wanted to do a little extra to divert some of the heat in that area. So, I picked up a PTP turbine housing blanket. It's a really nice blanket, and fits like a glove. It also works awesome. You can literally touch the blanket after extended engine operation.
All the improvements in the cooling department seem to be working really well. We're seeing mid 80's to mid 90's here (about as hot as it gets in MD) with horrible humidity, and I've yet to see anything much over 206 degrees. I'll provide some future updates after I get some more seat time.
I installed new plugs gapped at .028 since I added the CDI box. Previously, I was gapped down to .018, which circumvented some ignition issues I was having at higher boost levels. I figured while the plugs were out, I'd also do a compression test. I'm still at 175-180 PSI across the board, which I'm pretty happy with.
The FP3052 didn't like my old 3" intake, which seemed to be causing some compressor surge. So, I crafted up a 4" version that basically mimicked the old one.
Continuing my quest for crisper shifts, I installed new OEM shifter cables, a new cable bracket, and upgraded to solid shifter base bushings.
I replaced the rear carrier bushings with new OEM stuff as well. I forgot to do this when I added the DSS driveshaft, so I finally just got around to doing it.
At this point, I think I've got most of the bugs worked out. I'll be playing with the tune, and putting some test miles on the new setup in the next few weeks. So far, I'm really impressed with the FP3052. The car runs and feels awesome. It's hard to compare the FP3052 fairly to the 68HTA, since the entire hot side is exponentially more efficient. But, the FP3052 in it's current configuration is definitely the superior street turbo. I'm seeing 30 PSI by 4k RPM, and this turbo has awesome top end to match the quick low end response. I'm hoping for a visit to the track, and maybe even the dyno in the near future to get some real numbers up for comparison. Thanks for reading along.