The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rattle can

G

Staff member
A while back there was a discussion about companies that could make custom colors in aerosol rattle cans. Does anyone know of such company?

turbowop

A lot of local paint supply companies can do that. It's how I painted the JDM bumpers on 503 back in the day. I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere...

thomcasey

Quoting transparentdsm:
click

This is who I used. I ordered some Belize Green from them along with clearcoat for my doglegs, mirrors and front bumper. Matched the factory color perfectly.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have used Automotive touch up products on three cars. I also recently purchased cans from a local Finishmaster outlet. A pint of paint made three aerosol cans for about the same price as the AT price.

I like the catalyzed clear AT sells and it is very price competetive. Can is only good for two days, but provides a good factory equivalent. You can wet sand it and buff to get a good smooth finish. I am doing my 92 right now and in the sanding/buffing stage.

Last edited:

JNR

You can buy the empty 'can' unit and put whatever liquid paint you want to. However, why limit yourself if you're going custom color? I can see using Krylon, over-the-counter, etc. (which can be done quite well if you know what you're doing), but think it'd be better to either use a real spray gun, or even an airbrush could work well, if concerned about space, small compressor, etc...Use an inline separator-dryer on the line, of course.

G

Staff member
I'm painting center caps.

89Mirageman

Stock GVR4 wheels? I would honestly repaint the entire wheel. Just don't think you'll get the match you're after painting just the cap but that's just my opinion.

G

Staff member
I powder coated the wheels a custom color. Now i need to send a sample to a company to match the color. The links above don't offer that service.

slugsgomoo

My local parts store has a pPg shop attached, and they made me some cans of kensington grey, wasn't terribly expensive. Sadly I haven't gotten around to it yet, so my eterna grille is still on a shelf.

89Mirageman

If its a custom color you'll probably have to take one of the wheels to a place that sells autobody paint and have them scan it. Even then I don't know that you'll get an exact match. When painting a car, say one door that has damage for instance. Most of the time you have to blend into the next panel or panels to trick the eye because its never a 100& perfect match. If you blend it over a broad area the eye really doesn't see it. You paint just the door though and most of the time it'll stick out and be very noticeable. I think this is what you will run into with the center caps. One is paint and one is powder, they won't be 100% identical. Hopefully it will though.

JNR

Also, while this is a small part, it's always a good idea to paint things in the position they will be used, so in this case, vertically. Works with direction polishing and especially waxing too, if you *really* want things to stand out (or match better on the paint).

Sounds like the PC may have just been done? That will help, since the UV and elements have not gotten to it.

They claim those computer sensors are supposed to work good in matching existing shades/fade, etc., although far from perfect.

Keep in mind different materials will not always come out the same, especially if they're plastic.

G

Staff member
I had the powder coater coat a scrap piece of metal along with the wheels just so i could send it off.

arapp

Tom's Turbo Garage had some info on this when he touched up his Galant in his video segment.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts