The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Finally found the noise

tektic

After finals pulling my trans apart I found the source of my drive train noise.

The section of the case is chucked and bearing and race on here are toast.

EMX5636

Definitely check the gear teeth if that bearing is that toast. When the shafts walk like that, they tend to get weird wear marks in them.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Singlemalt:
I've got one that is noisy that I only notice when slowing down. It quiets back down when ever it has some load on it.

If you're running an unsprung clutch, this may be normal, especially with solid engine mounts. If you've neither, then something is probably about to sh*t the bed.

idreamidrive

Sorry for the thread jack, but really how hard is it to work on these transmissions? I have the service manual and mechanical knowledge, but I have always been "scared" of tackling the job. I figure you kind of need to know what you are doing to be able to do it right. Like have Yoda watching you the whole way.

I have a spare tranny that I want to build/fix.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not easy, but not impossible. You need some special tools like a bearing separator to get under some of them. Shimming to get your proper bearing preload or clearance is a very important step.

I would say the service manual covers it all, but it hops around the sections a bit.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I work on cars for a living.
I didn't touch my transmission past a certain point - setting preload and such. Wanted someone who had the experience to set it up properly and listen to my concerns about which preload was going to be used because of the power levels.
Can you do it, yes.
Have others done it routinely, yes.
It depends on how much you are willing to take on.
I don't like certain portions of my car, so I'll leave it at that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts