The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's up with this?

holeshotmoe

Left rear. The damage is on the inside edge. Only thing i can think of is something getting wedged in there for a few seconds at speed. Not likely, but I did have a caliper sticking on this wheel...that's when I discovered the tire issue.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
How long has that tire been on the car? I think you may have a rear toe-out issue.

holeshotmoe

I hear you. But here's the history. Had Mrs Tire rotate them to the back a little over a year ago. Had an alignment done at the same time. (Had just replaced front bearings so had them check the back too) Then I swapped to snow tires last December. Then this past March I swapped back to these, putting them on the same corners. These and the snows were fine at every exchange. Checked the snows last night and they're normal. That's why I was thinking maybe i picked up some debris??? Then it got ejected after a minute??

holeshotmoe

...and wouldn't the rest of the tread show signs of it dragging skewed? The edge is pretty severe. And would this tire pull the RR tire like the front would, or are they independently steered on the back?

fuel

It definitely looks like an alignment issue and your tyre is possible underinflated too as I can see wear on the opposite shoulder whereas tread in the middle isn't worn down as much.

Get another wheel alignment and check pressures of all your tyres.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The alignment is independently set in the rear.

One other thing to consider, and this happened to me so I think about it. If the rear alignment is done without disconnecting and adjusting the rear steer tie rod ends, it can negate the effect of adjustment if the tie rods push the trailing arms back out or pull them in. They are technically supposed to be disengaged from the trailing arms, adjusted and then dropped back into the trailing arm holes after the rear is aligned.

I had an alignment done years ago and the shop did not do this in this way. I has a similar tire wear issue. Not sure why you would not see this on the snows other than possibly the different nature of the tread designs.

holeshotmoe

Yeah, I guess I'm trying not to remember the ignorant expressions on their faces when I handed them a printout of the tech bulletin specifying the procedure to do it correctly. Likewise I'm not looking forward to the ignorant expressions on their faces when I try to convince them they owe me for at least one new tire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

holeshotmoe

And thanks of course for the feedback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif This site is better than the internet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Without knowing this was a Galant VR4, I was about to ask if you had a 3 series BMW. Would have said normal condition and don't put Kumho's on a German car. This was not the case, but certain suspensions and certain tires ...

Too bad they didn't know about the alignment procedure. Not many cars follow such a convoluted procedure such as Mitsubishi set out with for the VR4, so let's hope this is a one time issue for you. Last champion tire wear customer I had come in with 4 tires burning all inside edges, was a newer 2013?ish Lexus IS250 F. Can't wait to see her snow tires at the end of this next winter season. Yeah, I installed the snow tires with rims, in September.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts