The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tuff photos and transfer case problems!

NateCrisman

Awesome...did you get any data or partial passes or was the carnage on launch1?

E39A

No data, the car is still on a base tune until i get some passes in one day, the transfer brakes on launch, ive had three launches and broken three transfers. Before this i raced the car most weekends for years even running 9 second passes and have never broken one. The difference is ive gone from a twin plate to triple plate clutch, drag slicks from radials that had abit of wheel spin, step two launch control at a higher RPM than the antilag that i was running before.

NateCrisman

Dude! 3 launches + 3 driveline fails = INSTALL TORQUE CONVERTER. That's the best advice I can give you, auto swap. Chasing an 8sec pass with three pedals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Car looks awesome, obviously makes power, the build looks spotless! Kudos.

But do yourself a favor and give up on the stick trans, the car will go from "useless" on the dragstrip as it seems to be now with 100% failure rate to "world record" pretty much instantly.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

Nate on the auto kick like usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Pretty sure when H pattern manual cars are running deep 7's, it can be done. Hell, Devin seems to have that car dialed in pretty well, and shep did it what, 10 years ago?

cheaper solution than tearing everything out for an auto is to try the magnus launch device IMO.

Humorously one of my local friends who's running low 9's in a 1g AWD auto told me he's destroyed the same number of auto gearboxes as manuals, the only difference being that the manuals cost more to build. (also the auto really sucks for 1/2 mile and longer racing due to not having any usable OD gears)

bazeng

I was very close to converting to auto in the vr4...

I decided not to when I realised I probably needed to change the cams, rear diff ratio and xfer case out..

So I ordered a tmz stage 4 xfer case, flat shift gear knob instead.

Did you get a run without a launch with that setup in the past?

The car looks great!

curtis

Not sure what ecu etc your using but have you thought about pulling like 12 degrees timing out of the hole and have it ramp back in over 2 or 3 seconds. Killing some hp and torque might be easier than wrenching

fuel

Quoting NateCrisman:
Dude! 3 launches + 3 driveline fails = INSTALL TORQUE CONVERTER. That's the best advice I can give you, auto swap. Chasing an 8sec pass with three pedals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Car looks awesome, obviously makes power, the build looks spotless! Kudos.

But do yourself a favor and give up on the stick trans, the car will go from "useless" on the dragstrip as it seems to be now with 100% failure rate to "world record" pretty much instantly.

Outside of the USA, racing usually involves more than just the 1/4 mile. This car has performed some hill climb runs and is not just limited to being a go in a straight line queen.

NateCrisman

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Nate on the auto kick like usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Pretty sure when H pattern manual cars are running deep 7's, it can be done. Hell, Devin seems to have that car dialed in pretty well, and shep did it what, 10 years ago?

cheaper solution than tearing everything out for an auto is to try the magnus launch device IMO.

Humorously one of my local friends who's running low 9's in a 1g AWD auto told me he's destroyed the same number of auto gearboxes as manuals, the only difference being that the manuals cost more to build. (also the auto really sucks for 1/2 mile and longer racing due to not having any usable OD gears)

Go to the shootout and tell me how well Devin and Shep did in going rounds? 75% of the cars capable of going rounds without breaking are Auto (kiggly, Gregory, Bush, Holland, most of the RWD cars). The 1 car that's capable of a 7 and is H pattern: typical. driveline broken on it's first pass....end of race...do not pass go, do not collect $200. Magnus brought 2 stick trans cars: they both ran 12's and broke. Obviously auto cars break too, we have had our fair share of breakage with #431 trying for the 8. But the breakage is far less with the auto, the car is more consistent, and we don't waste as much of our precious track time breaking on the first pass. For a home-brew effort of two guys in their garage, the auto just makes sense on the money and time side. Yeah, it's not as cool as rowing gears, and there's less bragging about the driver....I'll give you that. But our goal is to run the best ET possible, and the Auto is the way to go if that's your goal.

Not to mention comparing Devin/Shep's professional racing efforts with a super lightweight DSM is quite different than pushing the weight of a brick GVR4 with "guy in a garage" race team funding that the GVR4 cars seem to be. Kevin and Shep also don't post about all the times they went to the track and had results like this...the "complete waste of time/$ days were you don't even get a pass". Stick trans cars tend to be more of the one-run-wonders at the 8-7 second speed.

I don't know much about this blue GVR4, and I don't know if he things breaking 3/3 is all that much fun, but I suspect since he started a thread to mention it...not so much. I don't know if the OP has $100,000 into buying driveline parts so who cares, or if he's on the shoestring budget and constantly breaking is throwing all his money out the window.

Just giving the realistic solution to launching a heavy GVR4 and getting a better than "broken 100% of the time" results.... I know I like to beat the auto drum.....but no one with a GVR4 can dispute the results of what works. This blue car is like the 3rd example of crazy power & stock trans efforts that never get off the ground because every time they go to the track, they demolish the driveline. 1062, the crazy 5 color fire painted GVR4 from down under, the OP in this thread.....put up big mph, but don't seem to get enough track time due to breakage, so don't fully realize their potential.

Adding in hillclimb and 1/2 mile racing complicates the equation even further. I guess if your going to do that stuff with the same car, your forced to make compromises and it will never be awesome at everything. If it has to be stick in order to do hillclimb, then you can't expect it to be awesome at 1/4mile dragstrip launches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I'd like to do 1/2 and 1 mile events with my car eventually, which is why I'll never go auto, because the ONLY thing an auto is good at is 1/4 mile. It's sh*t on the street (subjective), sh*t on corners, sh*t on further than a 1/4 mile...

Yeah, it's great if you want to go 1/4 mile only, but in that case, why are you still AWD on a mitsu platform anyway? going RWD and running a non-sh*t gearbox makes vastly more sense at that point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I assume any car attempting to dip 8's or faster is basically accepted the fact that they're in professional racing budget land if they want to be competitive. Having known the kind of money that's gone into some of the cars listed, I don't see any of them as being inexpensive home-brew setups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NateCrisman

Heh.,.,.I guess #431 is a "professional racing budget land" setup. It's a car that gets pulled to the track on a open single car trailer, behind a toyota SUV, with a toolbox in the back of the SUV and maybe a cardboard box with a spare ignition coil, plugs, and some misc crap. This car is fairly budget, as far as 8 sec cars, and it's run entirely by two guys working out of their home-brew garages. (my partout shop supplies lots of parts to the effort). It's far from a professional effort.

Anyway...my point is, if you want to do 1/4mile in a GVR4...you don't build a stick car and expect it to not break. If you want to build a hillclimb or 1/2 mile car...you can't expect it to be an awesome 1/4 car. One car cannot be all things to all people and be a competitive record holder in all things. I don't dispute that the auto isn't compatible with 1/2 or hillclimb or autox. (it's awesome on the street IMHO, Id be more than happy to auto swap my daily driver GVR4). In fact, the 1/4mi problem with the auto is even there: mph...we do 150+mph with #431 and we are cranking 10,000rpm on the stroker motor due to gearing and no OD. But it's still better than breaking every pass.

I totally dispute your "if you only want to do 1/4mi, why are you an AWD mitsu platform anyway?" comment. If you want to do 1/2mile...why aren't you running a twin turbo Lambo, supra, or a corvette or a camaro? If you want to do Hillclimb...why aren't you doing it in a toyota tube frame pickup? We all work with what we want to within the confines of what our budgets and ability can do, as I said, I assume anyone running a GVR4 is not a real professional racing effort with an unlimited budget. We are on this site because we like this platform, I assume the OP loves these old bricks just as much as Nelson & I do, and we want to stick with this AWD platform. Cutting it up to go RWD with a non-mitsubishi trans kinda defeats the theme (and puts you out of any organized racing class that mitsubishi guys care about)

I simply suggested if this blue car wants to run a record ET at 1/4mile ....[/b]which he started a thread about and noted in the first line.....broken driveline 100% of the time on the launch[/b]....the automatic is the way to go to stop the breakage and run a competitive time. If this blue car runs hillclimb events and can't run the auto...so be it.....that dual purpose need kills the deal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts