The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rave: D2 Coilovers

Nebraska

Just ordered my first set of Coilovers and now plan to review them for the next possible buyer. I'm guessing it will be a week or two but I'm still pretty excited about them. Apparently mine are being shipped straight from the factory, is that normal? As for the price, I got the last set for $929.25 from The Coilover Store. Very good customer service so far. I'm also modding some dsm rotors for those that need pictars!

Expect updates!
Garrett

This is what I'm working with

Last edited:

Nebraska

They're here!

Very unexpected surprise. I ordered these two days ago! Hmmmmm Sunday Funday this weekend!

Garrett

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I just ordered KSports direct from KSport. They put in the order (because C53a are made to order) and 2-3 weeks lead time before another 2 days to the US and then 2 days to me in Canada.
Wouldn't surprise me if many of the chinese products are all made on the assembly line together. Just like bicycle frames from Giant, amongst other parts.
Would be nice to hear how these do. Keep in mind they should "soften" up with some good miles on them. All coilovers sound like they have a break in period (maybe more for cheaper entry level stuff by design and nature of the parts melding together), versus some higher end stuff; speculation!

Nebraska

Interesting, I don't really know what to expect besides a stiff ride. The adjustability is pretty neat. I don't understand the spring travel yet but by the end of today I hope to be an E-expert on the Subject. Have you had Coilovers before?

TurboDSM

I had d2's on my old cts-v and they rode pretty good for a cheaper coilover. They are built very well, but you may want to mess with the spring rates if you decide to track the car. The out of the box ones arent very good

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I'm hoping if they hold up well enough, that a set of Swift springs would be the proper upgrade (in matching specs), and then see what happens to the butt dyno.

donniekak

I've checked out several different budget brands and tried a few different setups in my cars. I'm back to Koni's and eibachs. The easiest way I've found to judge a suspension setup is to go semi fast around a bumpy corner. Most of what I've experienced involves skipping across the road.

Nebraska

So can someone correct me if I'm wrong but I read the instructions that came with the D2s and they seem pretty straightforward. I'm going to make sure things are secure and what not but to get started and at least semi aligned I was going to measure point to point from certain spots on the Coilover (example: Top of spring to bottom locknut, bottom of spring locknut to the locknut for the strut knuckle) not sure if this makes sense but I would like your input guys.

Thanks
Garrett

ApexHunter

Yes, you've got the right idea! If D2 gave preliminary specs for pre-load and ride height and you plan on using them, then you definitely want to measure just like they want, otherwise measurement points are somewhat arbitrary.

I generally start out with preload at zero (the spring should be just snug). Start at one corner, and then measure the spring length at zero preload. The front left and front right should be equal, and same with rear left and rear right (to start with anyway), so i'll measure and try to get them within 0.5mm of each other.

For ride height, again it's kind of arbitrary unless you are using someone else's specs, but i like to measure the same way you described. I usually write down all my measurements to make setup changes or re-installation a bit easier.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts