The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Center tail lights on trunk interchangeable between years?

EfiniX

My already cracked trunk lights cracked a bit more and it's time for replacement. I'm not partial to the VR-4 badge on the '92 lights, but buying '91 lights don't get me much of they don't fit...

*EDIT*

It would seem as though that VR-4 badge isn't year-specific? I can see there are two "types" of tail light assembly. I'm guessing you need to pair up the trunk lights with the corner lights for it to look "ok". If that's the case, my question is simply whether or not the fitment is the same across years.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think everything swaps. I bought a 91 once that had 92 tails in it, and I replaced them with the 91 style. Don't recall any fitment issues at all other than changing the trunk trim to match.

bazeng

I don't know about everybody else but I know that an older Jspec (89) cannot fit the facelift stuff without cutting out some steel. Vice versa I believe is ok.

slugsgomoo

91-93 should all be easy plug and play. The 89 (and maybe 90 but I don't know) has a slightly different trunk so it required "massaging" to get the 89 center section to fit on my car (sides required no mods).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned