The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So, lotsa knock in 2nd gear, but clean in 3rd and 4th...

EfiniX

Very intermittent, so I'm thinking PK. Right now, my link threshold is 3750/40%, which seems plenty high (in both RPM and TPS) for me. Are there other things I should be looking at? I know vibrations will cause issues, but with poly bushings all around, I can't think of what else I could do.

That, or it's just part of having this car and I live with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

I just alleviated some knock by adjusting my intercooler couplings. one was tapping the a/c line. Touch everything in your engine bay and shake it. If it makes noise or touches something else then fix it.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Log...

I know, I know. Coming up tomorrow. I need to re-gap my plugs tomorrow morning and do some pulls.

EfiniX

And here we go. I ran a number of WOT logs over the weekend, nearly all in 2nd gear. I was feeling a fairly pronounced stumble when experiencing knock. Not nearly as bad as when I had an injector going out, but still, noticeable. Now I'm not sure that I'm feeling ~7 counts of knock, or if I'm havin spark-related problem and the knock is just a symptom. Even on clean runs, it feels a little rumbly. Hard to quantify. The car doesn't abruptly lose power or anything. it just feels like I'm driving over a bumpy bit of road.

I got new NGK wires about 18 months ago, but I've done a lot of work since then, and I'm not opposed to considering that they might need to be looked at. If I have time today, I'll test their resistance.

Or maybe it's just knock. In anycase, the car is getting dialed in!

click

Gtpdz

The high knock threshold is for getting rid of the knock I guess? 3350rpm and 40% throttle, let us know how this setting works out. I'm also trying to get ride of a similar knock issue.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Not really high for my car. I've got a T3/T04 with a boost threshold ~4300-4500rpm's. It depends on the gear, really. In the 2nd-gear pulls I posted, you can see I'm not cracking 20psi until ~5k. 3rd and 4th, it gets a bit more reasonable.

Now for a stock turbo, I think the threshold is sub 4k, so yeah, my knock control settings would be really aggressive in that setup.

Gtpdz

I see... I always thought it should be handle with caution when it comes it ignoring knock, looks like I should go a bit aggressive on that. I'm having a .60 bb gt37r so it has a similar spooling(lag) characteristic, I also get up to full knock count around 2000 - 3000 just when it start to build positive pressure with very moderate throttle.

EfiniX

Assuming your timing map is pretty much stock before the RPM's where you start to spool, you should be ok. My rule is that I don't touch timing below my knock sensor threshold.

Gtpdz

I can see that from your log,for me I did pulled 1-2 degrees around the spot just before the spooling...didn't make much difference though but I guess it won't do much harm right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned