The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noble Quest 19/1000

Flybyevo

Here I sit with my 1992 Albany Black GVR4 19/1000 at 205,000 miles of smiles.

A while back the power steering failed.

This began with a leak in the rear pump.

I unsuccessfully attempted to get it working.

Tried bypassing the rear pump and another belt driven power steering pump up front.

The car looked sad in my driveway.

Keep reading...

After several years of sitting The car was towed to a recommended mechanic familiar with our cars.

The mechanic has done an evaluation and recommends the following.

Remove and replace fuel filler tube (rotted and leaking)
Rebuild steering rack
Outer Tie Rod Ends
Steering Power Steering Pump - Reman
Replace Alternator 90amp - Reman
4 Wheel wheel Alignment

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance....

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Maintenance list sounds reasonable.

You need to isolate the leak location in the power steering. Usually rear system leaks are a rusted line somewhere, as the rear pump is just driven off the rear differential. Parts are somewhat difficult to find, but not impossible. I have some components as I stripped a working system off a car a number of years ago. The other alternative is removal.

Is it the front rack or rear rack he is suggesting rebuilding?

Flybyevo

Thanks for the reply.

He is suggesting the front rack.

The power steering lines to the rear have been bypassed and the leak has been eliminated. Once that was done there still was no power steering. This was done years ago and was never able to drive it since. He thinks there could be some blockage caused by the front steering rack which was why he suggested a rebuild. Also the rack rebuilder wouldn't guarantee his work unless a power steering pump was replaced at the same time.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I am sure someone on here has a ps pump for you. Rack can be replaced by a regular galant rack if leaving the 4WS disconnected.

Flybyevo

Thanks for the message.

I did get one from a forum member years ago.

It was installed and didn't fix the problem.

Thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned