The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this piston useable?

citymunky

This piston made contact with a valve sometime in its life (Start up), would you use this piston or replace it?

ApexHunter

I'd sh*t can it- not worth it. That gouge will serve as a nice habitat for carbon deposits and become a hot spot, encouraging detonation/pre-ignition.

donniekak

Check that the rings don't get pinched in the land, knock the sharp edge off of it with a detail file and run it. The valve relief cuts are sharper than that dent will be.
The bottom end in my car was in it when I bought it. Eagle/wiseco combo. At some point in time the exhaust valves contacted the Pistons. I spent a couple minutes making sure they weren't sharp, and checked the pin boss skirt area for cracks. They work fine at 40+ psi on e85, and have no knock issues running pump gas at 25 psi with a 35r sized turbo.

biglady112

We have made over 800hp with much worse. Smooth/grind the ding down and go nuts. Don't be scared.

Last edited:

Mdlimy

Id smooth it out real good and run it. Like Apex said, the burs will cause hotspots and cause det. If it truly happened at start up it shouldn't have done any structural damage to the rest of the piston.

EMX5636

I've cleaned up marks like that with no ill effects. It depends if it's always going to be on the back of your mind. If it will haunt you, replace it. But you can probably beat the snot out of it without issues.

TurboTurtle

If you have to question it, you shouldn't use it

Olson

Clean it up smooth it out and run it.

GSX_TC

Quoting TurboTurtle:
If you have to question it, you shouldn't use it

^^
What he said.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Agree it is usable with removing sharp edges.

citymunky

Thanks for the input guys, I'm not a engine builder so I don't know much about this things.

Looking at the other pistons that were in the block, they all made slight contact with a valve at some point. However the piston pictured above was by far the worst one. I'm just going to use the other set of JE pistons from the motor that was in 733/2k to begin with.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts