The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Subframe Connector unsafe?

tektic

So I have been looking at some rally prep pictures and cage builds and subframe connectors don't seem to be included in the over all structural design. Is that because they are unnecessary with a full cage, or are the inherently unwanted because of some loss of impact absorption in a particular type of crash? I did a quick google search and have not come up with much of anything relevant too look at.

I'd like to Install subframe connectors and a harness bar in my Car for chassis stiffening, but not at the expense of my safety in the event of a crash.

EMX5636

I would say there definitely is a place for subframe connectors. But at the same time, sometimes a bit of chassis flex is a good thing (and engineered to do so). I would probably say they could affect crush zones etc, although if you're in a wreck that bad, you're flipping a coin anyway. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are unsafe, but the chassis definitely wasn't crash tested with them, so unless you're willing to be a guinea pig, we'll probably never know for sure what happens.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

It would definitely depend on the cage, but most properly built cages intended for rally cars would make them redundant.

EMX5636

Quoting tektic:
So to sum up your post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The only place I really see subframe connectors used on a normal basis is drag cars to keep things from twisting on launches. As Apex said, if a cage is built correctly, it ties everything together without the use of strut tower braces/bars, subframe braces etc. My only uncertainty is with an accident like I said. We haven't seen anyone who has them installed in a GVR4 crash their car, so we have no idea if they would make the chassis better or worse taking a hit. You haven't found any info, because there really isn't. The manufacturers do a lot to test the integrity of everything before production, anything added or removed (esp if they need to be cut or welded in) is taking a chance at adversely affecting things, even if they help out how intended.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned