The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil pan fix.

transparentdsm

So after some work on my new talon I noticed the bolt holes were almost completely stripped out for the oil return line. I sat down and thought it out. I went and got 2 6mm exhaust studs, mixed up some jb weld and put it together. I think having a washer and nut instead of a bolt will make the oil leakage non-existant from the pan. Also the studs being jb welded in will keep the threads from leaking.

thomcasey

I kind-of have the same thing, except I welded mine in (used Bolts so I could weld from the inside and make a perma-seal.)

MellowVR4

Damn, look at that oil pan!! soo not rusty at all!! lol

MellowVR4

I really meant that its not rusty at all. dsm's over here the pans are always flaking with rust lol

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hmm, I like this. I will have to consider something similar for next time mine is off.

transparentdsm

I got it put together and ran the car and no more leaking. Really happy and it was so super easy. Only part that was tricky was getting the gasket from the turbo to the return tube to line up, but only took a few extra minutes to get it all lined up so the bolts would go in. Well worth doing now that it's done and I have checked it and its leak free, IMHO.

marvinmadman

I just have to ask. Did you do this with the pan installed?

marvinmadman

Ahh, I misread your post. I was thinking you used bolts. I'd be afraid that the JB cracks from vibration over time.

biglady112

Certainly the wrong way to rig this up. Much better and safer solutions. All of which involve removing the oil pan and doing it the proper way.

diambo4life

I would have just got another oil pan. Easy/cheap to get and easy to replace. Just worried about a failure down the road at the worst possible time. Is there a reason this option was not considered? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

transparentdsm

I didn't buy another pan because i need it to not leak for the next few weeks while it sits till i get money together to pull and rebuild the motor, but i need to be able to turn it on and move it around every once and a while and not piss oil all over the place. when i rebuild the motor ill probably weld in studs or weld in an AN fitting. the threads weren't totally stripped in the pan, the one hole still had a full turn of thread in them and the other had almost all of the threads left when i did this.

ive just never liked the design on the pan and its always an issue getting it to not leak and seal and tightening the bolts in and if the threads weren't stripped i think the studs with some RTV on them would be great and i personally like my solution and idea and thought i would share.

marvinmadman

sh*t. I forgot the nuts were still in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I'd feel pretty good about this holding up in that sense.

diambo4life

Quoting transparentdsm:
I didn't buy another pan because i need it to not leak for the next few weeks while it sits till i get money together to pull and rebuild the motor, but i need to be able to turn it on and move it around every once and a while and not piss oil all over the place. when i rebuild the motor ill probably weld in studs or weld in an AN fitting. the threads weren't totally stripped in the pan, the one hole still had a full turn of thread in them and the other had almost all of the threads left when i did this.

ive just never liked the design on the pan and its always an issue getting it to not leak and seal and tightening the bolts in and if the threads weren't stripped i think the studs with some RTV on them would be great and i personally like my solution and idea and thought i would share.

Ok. Makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fish

I did the jb weld and stud method on my dirt bike (yzf426) when the oil filter housing bolts stripped out. That was about three years ago now and it's held up pretty well so far, and i'm sure it rattles and vibrates more than most mitsubishi engines.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts